460 download for etech

gumbiegumbie

I have a e-tech 400 and my Camshaft has a couple lobes wearing off. I have been slowly trying to up the horsepower and have put a bigger turbo that would have come on the 460 and I have the bigger injector nozzles. When I change the camshaft I'm going to use the cam key for the 460 and I want to have my computer reflashed. I'm kind of getting the runaround from Mack about the computer part. Can I not just get the VIN number from a truck that came with the 460 XT and let them use that to flash my computer? Is this the easiest way and if not what is the easiest way to get to the 460 XT flash into my computer.

Ha! Money is always an issue. All 3 dealers within driving distance are the same people. When we had another truck flashed for computer problems they charged one hour labor. That basically what I was wanting them to do this time only flash it with the program that came in a 460 truck. Has anyone done something like this and knows that it works?

There are more differences then just an ECM flash going from a 400 to a 460 or 460XT if I remember correctly. Besides getting the program from Mack you will also need injectors and the Waste gated turbo if I'm not mistaken. I may be missing something here off of the top of my head and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will fill in the blanks for you soon

Being a 2001 you might not have to replace the cam key. Starting in 01/02 the CCRS style Etech came out and it uses the same cam key way regardless of HP. Also the CCRS engine didnt have the 460XT as I remember. On the CCRS 460 engine the engine needs the wastgated turbo as the data file looks at boost pressure all the time. However the CCRS 427 uses a regular style turbo. What is the last of 6 of your VIN and model #

What about leaving cam timing alone? Would this not help with the sluggish take off? I understand from other forum's that there could be some heat issues. I'm assuming that it is coolant temps where the issue is. But what if one was able to increase the cooling capacity a little. wouldn't that let you get by without retarding timing at the higher HP levels. I have been kicking this around for awhile. just need someone with more knowledge than I to throw in their 2 cents.

I personally did my buddies 99 RD . Engine was a 400 and I put the turbo and injectors and 460 program in. Knowing that we would probably have to install the offset key way in. He ran it a few months till the summer hit and he couldn't keep it from over heating. Maybe the bigger CH radiator would keep it cool. This is the only time I have tried this. Swapping the key way would not be bad if they had threaded holes in the cam gear where you could use a puller on it. This would keep you from pulling the cam all of the way out and saving lots of time. I have hear of someone heating up the gear with a torch and popping it off while still in the engine but the uneven heating and uncontrollable temps could not be good.

Mackpro, in another forum on this site you and a guy were talking about the 460 XT download not being the same anymore and how Mack did a recall offering a free oil change if you would bring in your truck and let them reflash it to the new 460 program that was more EPA friendly or something. This being the case, am I just wasting my money and time trying to get the 460 download that they are going to use now instead of the one you got back in the good ol days that came on the trucks?

• 3 weeks later...

well, I put the 460 injectors in and I'm having a problem so I pulled them out and after closer inspection I seen that the body of the injector is made a little different. Mainly talking about the oring grooves. My old injectors have the thick oring at the top and then one thin one just under the head towards the top of the body of the injector. well the new ones have the thick top oring and I realized that I had actually put the thin oring in the groove where the body screws together. It was late, and I was tired but I should have noticed that the new injectors don't have the second oring groove just under the head. Looking at some on the internet that say they are for the AC460 the pictures look like what I have without the second groove so I'm guessing that the AC injectors are different and that's what I have. I have the older 2001 e-tech and I'm guessing the way the cup in the head is made you have to have the injectors with the groove for the thin oring? right or wrong?

Mackpro68, do you work at a mack dealer? The mack dealer here says that putting that vin# on my truck is mission impossible. Said that if that vin wasn't the one that came on my truck it could not go on my truck because "mack" won't let them. What are they missing? Can it really be done? What do I need to tell them to convince them to do it?