460 download for etech

gumbiegumbie

well, I put the 460 injectors in and I'm having a problem so I pulled them out and after closer inspection I seen that the body of the injector is made a little different. Mainly talking about the oring grooves. My old injectors have the thick oring at the top and then one thin one just under the head towards the top of the body of the injector. well the new ones have the thick top oring and I realized that I had actually put the thin oring in the groove where the body screws together. It was late, and I was tired but I should have noticed that the new injectors don't have the second oring groove just under the head. Looking at some on the internet that say they are for the AC460 the pictures look like what I have without the second groove so I'm guessing that the AC injectors are different and that's what I have. I have the older 2001 e-tech and I'm guessing the way the cup in the head is made you have to have the injectors with the groove for the thin oring? right or wrong?

I'm not sure you will get those injectors to work in your 01 why not get some stage 2 injectors from rodchester fuel or atrium?

Mackpro68, do you work at a mack dealer? The mack dealer here says that putting that vin# on my truck is mission impossible. Said that if that vin wasn't the one that came on my truck it could not go on my truck because "mack" won't let them. What are they missing? Can it really be done? What do I need to tell them to convince them to do it?

I do it all the time. They need to act like they are reflashing/reprograming your current engine ECM to the VIN of the 460XT truck. The same a customers buying used ECM's and bringing to us to have flashed/programmed to their current truck. As long as your current ECM part number matches ( or is on the list for possible matches) the part# of the 460XT truck. The vechicle ECM in the cab stays the same and is not programed.

On the injectors you have to use 1999/2001 ETECH injectors. The CCRS and AI/AC ASET injectors will not work at all as they have no fuel return out of the injectors. The 99-01 ETECHs have a plastic fuel return line out of the top front or top rear of the head down to the fuel overflow valve on the RH side of the block above the air compressor. The CCRS and ASET engines do not have this plastic line.

• Like 2

Thanks mackpro. I'm going to show this to them so maybe it will shed some light on what I'm trying to do. I had a set of good injectors that I know fit my engine and I use the chart you gave me to buy the right tip and put them in myself and even without having the computer reprogramed yet I can already tell a very noticeable difference. Places that I Drive a lot and know how fast I'm usually going by certain landmarks I'm going faster and in a higher gear already. Not sure if the injectors are in better shape or if it's the bigger tip or a combination of the two but it's definitely better! Hopefully I can get the computer right and it will be even better. Thanks for the info and all the charts with the sizes of everything on it

Edited by gumbie

The torque limit switch you speak of, is that a setting in the computer? If so, I'm assuming I can turn that off and leave it off since you're saying he locked it out. I've never really like anything that included the word limit!

Its a switch on top of the transmission, looks like a reverse light switch. Just a few of the Mack trans have them. I assume only the ones with extra low hole

• 3 weeks later...

Scratch that, went back a page or two and seen where you said it was a 99 model and wouldn't load on 02 or newer ccrs so I'm just gonna take your word for it and have them do it. Thanks for all the help.

Yes , It should work on all ETECH's that are 427 or 460 HP with the plastic fuel return line from the heads to the overflow valve on the side of the block. Not all 2002 engines are CCRS, I have seen regular ETECH's in 2002. The plastic fuel return line gives it away as being a regular ETECH engine.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but this project got put on the back burner for a while and I finally went back and picked up where I left off with the programming from the 460xt vin# and the Dealer is having trouble because it's saying my vehicle module isn't on the list 4 compatible modules for that engine module programming. He's thinking there is a way around it but we haven't figured it out yet. Any ideas? Basically it's saying that my vehicle module won't communicate with the engine module if the engine module has that programming in it. Don't know if we need to change the vehicle module or if there's a way around it in the laptop or what?

Edited by gumbiegumbie
Content

I wonder if the Tech is using VCADS/ TechTool  or the old VMACIII program to change parameters?   We only use VCADS/Techtool on the VMACI, VMAC II and the MP engines.  on the ETECH, CCRS and ASET engine we use the old VMAC program wecause its so much faster and easier. 

Well, got it back. Wish I would have left it alone. Now my malfunction light stays on for a 55 code saying the shutdown lamp is messed up. My Jake brake doesn't work, the switch won't even light up and it's not a breaker or relay, my transmission temp gauge won't read, and most of all it doesn't run any different and cost me over 1200 bucks to get it flashed. My advice, if you have an electronic  Mack leave it alone. It is what it is and you're not gonna make it better. If you're following this thread and thinking about upgrading your etech, don't. If you want to make power, start with a old mechanical motor with a pump that you can turn up at a good old fashion pump Shop. Thousands in on injectors, turbo, cam timing, reflashing, and a few other things for what's equal to about a 350 Cummins. 

Well Im alittle late on this one. I pretty much went through the same issue a year and a half ago. I had to rebuild my engine in my 2000 RD. We also have a 2001 CL with the 460XT program. So I told the dealer when I was doing the rebuild I wanted more power. I knew trying for the xt program wasn't an option. The wonderful EPA put a total end to the xt program. Now with that being said I was also told that mack wouldn't send the program file to the dealer to reflash to 460. There was a whole list of reasons why they wouldn't do it, including since Volvo took over they wont run the power up. I don't really trust my dealer here, if I was told by the service manager the sky was blue Id have to go outside and check for myself. So I ended up going from a 350 to a 400, with superflow injectors.  It did run a lot better, the 400 had a much flatter torque curve than the 460 I was really enjoying that.  Basically what Im getting at is I personally believe unless you know a service manager or someone pretty high in the mack company the 460XT program isn't really an option any more. With the work that you listed Id be curious to see how it ran with the pre emissions 427 program.  That also has a flatter torque curve.  Good luck   

• 2 years later...

So; i realize this is an old thread as well, but I have a 2000 460 that I had Antirm Diesel crank up.  096 tipped injectors and a  171702 turbo. She's putting 464 to the ground and that's anemic when compared to what others are getting out of their etech. I've seen 612 rwhp   on their Dyno. Rochester Diesel claims there is a guy in NJ doing over 700. This all being said; it isn't cheap but you can definitely make your 98-01 E-7 bark. 

Edited by Vision 618
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2019 at 1:40 PM, Vision 618 said:

So; i realize this is an old thread as well, but I have a 2000 460 that I had Antirm Diesel crank up.  096 tipped injectors and a  171702 turbo. She's putting 464 to the ground and that's anemic when compared to what others are getting out of their etech. I've seen 612 rwhp   on their Dyno. Rochester Diesel claims there is a guy in NJ doing over 700. This all being said; it isn't cheap but you can definitely make your 98-01 E-7 bark. 

How is your low end power? 

My 01 427 is very sluggish... It’s bone stock but I’m thinking....

I have used Antrim to make a little more power on a 96 Mechanical 350 Mack. Injectors and turbo... 42# boost... great power and reliable. 

On 11/12/2019 at 1:30 PM, masterwelder said:

How is your low end power? 

My 01 427 is very sluggish... It’s bone stock but I’m thinking....

I have used Antrim to make a little more power on a 96 Mechanical 350 Mack. Injectors and turbo... 42# boost... great power and reliable. 

The guy doing 612 is on a 427. I know it made mine a completely different truck.  I've been told that the 427 program would make my 460 pull better.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...