E9 engine

ekennedy21

1978 the E9 was in prototype as the 1000 and 1005 and not intercooled. In 1979 the intercooled E9-400 went into production and ended in 1999 with the E9-500 in the USA. The engines pre E9 where the ENDT 865@325hp Maxidyne and ENDT 866@375hp Thermodyne. Both were not intercooled. Produced between 1970 and 1978.

Yep. VMAC E9 was available in Aus. Long after it was killed in North America. The E9 I was told was killed off due to not meeting emissions. Never made sense though, as there was no new regs between 1998 and 2002???

The last year you could order an E9 was 99 so it could have been built in a 2000 truck. I believe that was when they started switching over to Cummins and deleting the Cat option as well.

I believe the air throttle came out with the inline pump around 1990 or so. I don't think many guys liked it but it was suppose to saved a lot of broken drivetrain parts. Even with it the 94 CL I got for parts had clutch, trans (twice), drive shaft and front diff replaced by 400K miles. The E9 is still in great condition though.

An E9 is a one driver engine not just give it to the new kid to learn on.... unless you want big broken parts.

• Like 1

Well for reliability?? Do you trust stopping every time you hit the air brakes? Same air and cylinder concept as brakes.

It just seems a little mushy to me and lags compared to a cable. No real snap... Think there is a air restrictor to slow pressure build-up.

If you have a diesel pick-up truck built in the last 10 years your pedal is not directly connected to the pump ether.

I went to work on my kids car and the throttle is actuated with a motor and not connected to the pedal at all. There's a switch on the dash for "sport" mode that doubles the movement in the throttle motor.