300 in a B model

Freightrain

I have heard rumor a 237 or 300 will suck the oil out of the oil bath turbo air cleaner on a B. might be worth changing to a paper filter rather than having the engine take off on you.

Drove a 237 with a oil bath cleaner for years, never a problem ever. terry

• Like 1

That air cleaner thing made my heart skip a beat. I'm trading back to the oil bath with the E6-250 turbo setup I have...Like the stock look. Thinking about it though, the volume of the ouside of the cleaner where the air is headed up into the intake is massive and I can't imagine moving enough air through it to suck up a steady supply of oil and making it run away...I suppose it could be possible....I wonder what the air velocity is inside that unit...???HMMMmmmm....? I guess I need to so some math.

• Like 1

That's a smokin deal on on that 300 & 6 speed. Put it in and GO. Pull clutch and air filter would be the big issues. Bet you could get the front mount and not have to swap engine parts. Think it has a wetline pump as well that's worth $ too.

Definitely go with the paper. Don't take a chance with the oil bath. Those oil filter went by the wayside with the increased HP for a reason....

That's a smokin deal on on that 300 & 6 speed. Put it in and GO. Pull clutch and air filter would be the big issues. Bet you could get the front mount and not have to swap engine parts. Think it has a wetline pump as well that's worth $ too.

Definitely go with the paper. Don't take a chance with the oil bath. Those oil filter went by the wayside with the increased HP for a reason....

I like oil bath filters, never had a problem with them.

Well the numbers say T675. Only downfall is intake and intercooler is missing along with oil cooler. Very clean motor. Supposed to be from 4500 mile firetruck. Clean gold paint and Maxidyne on the valve cover tag. For basically nothing I have in it i think I can piece it together into something..

Just have to decide if I should worry about oil cooler and intercooler or just put plain intake on it? It has similar twin spin on that I put on my 673. I could just transfer over mine because it has broken chunk out of one filter mount plate.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I guess I need water manifold actually that attaches to head and comes around for pump? It is all gone. I suppose I will need my water pump to make it fit a B? Damper is gone but will use mine also.

How about intake? Tubing to turbo? Not sure what it looks like. Leslie can you post some pics of yours?

Larry

Thanks Leslie. That helps a ton. Now I know what is missing.

Is yours a drivers side starter? This one came with passenger side bell housing.

I didn't know yours was a 300 or is it a 237? How's it drive with your transmission? Quad or triplex?

Larry

That is what I have in a B model but I install a air/air cooler on the front and run the air tubes thru the head light panels under the head lights.It sure made a big difference.Mine would heat the coolant until I had a custom rad made for it.One thing that helps when they are heating is to take the fender panels off of the top of the fenders.

glenn akers

no intercooler or air to air is a 237.... I think a new waterpump is around 50 bucks larry. I know you need your 673 crank hub as its shorter. the 237 one is for a 3 groove pulley and theres not enough room between the dampner and the radiator crossmember. that water rail and oil cooler and filter setup is pretty commom also, but like we all know, non exhistent when your lookin for it. my cousin is runnin the smaller B61 radiator(the one that doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the horsecollar) with a 237 and it doesn't run hot. if your rad is in good condition you shouldn't have a problem.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I will look to get pump set for 250 at least.

I'm thinking I might get the motor out right after my last race next week then I can get the flywheel and clutch out for this motor. I'd like to get things ready so I can run it before I put it in. I think I will pull trans also just so I can clean it up too.

• Like 1

Larry

When you get the engine out the trans is easy to clean were it is in the frame if you have a power washer.To pull the front off of the truck leave the fenders attached to the rad and frame with grille in place.I have years ago pulled the engine and have it sitting on the ground before the engine has cooled off on a B model.Trans stays in the frame.

• Like 1

glenn akers