300 in a B model

Freightrain

Okay guys, I have a line on a motor. Will be looking at it in a couple weeks. I know the basics, but have a few questions that are rattling around in my head.

Will my 673 clutch survive? I don't have any plans to pull heavy, but if I at least freshen mine would it hold the power?

Not sure if motor has bellhousing, but figure I'll use mine to allow me to use my clutch. It will also allow me to leave starter down on passenger side.

I know I will have to use my water pump. Do I recall something about the front motor mount? Will I have to bolt mine on?

I'm really psyched if this all works out. After all these years I'll be able to pull hills without having to run 75 down one side to run 45 up the other.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I put a 300 in my B61... and tried to use the original clutch... I quickly found out it wouldn't work... Would drive right thru it with weight or when accelerating in higher gears at lower speeds... I had a button disc clutch made for it and it has worked fine ever since.. Be sure your using a double counter trans or you'll pound the front input shaft bearing with heavier loads...

He didn't say what variety. I'll find out when I get there. I had thoughts of maybe detuning it into a 250? (remove cooler), especially if it is a Maxidyne version. I would definitely get the pump reset.

Steve, I kinda figured I might have issues with a triplex. I don't plan on lugging it as I know what will happen. Unless I can come up with a late model trans REAL cheap I will have to make due. Just keep the revs up over 1500 and drive it carefully. I only pull my race trailer and it is 14K lbs.

Not that I want to get rid of my sticks, but might have to in the best interest.

• Like 1

Larry

I am also worried about by aux box. It will have to likely get replaced with a carrier bearing as it won't put up with this kind of power. Sad if I have to go from 3 sticks to 1. Ugh. But..........if I have power to run with the big dogs I guess I can make exceptions........

I guess I could sell my 673/triplex/aux for a few bucks to recoup?

Will my stock radiator put up with it? Not that I'm running the mountains with 80K lbs.

Larry

Ya, would be nice not to have to buy a transmission too. My buddy was raving about the power and how it lugs down and just pulls. I told him.....nope, can't do that. Have to just drive it easy, keep the rpms up. That single countershaft(um, well 60yr old single countershaft) box will not put up with double the torque input. No doubt would not hate having a nice 12 spd in there that I would not be afraid to "lean on it" and go when I want to.

Don't want to get my hopes going too far, too quick. Haven't even seen the motor yet. I am giddy though......

• Like 2

Larry

If you do the clutch to take the power, know the limitations of your drive train and with the triplex and the brownie you have enough gear choices not to lug it. You're not pulling anywhere close the weights that would stress the power package and you're not racing it and you remember it's limitations I think you'll be fine. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

That is why I might leave the clutch alone? That will be my "power limiter"? Not that I want to wear it out too fast but just have to watch as I drive it. I also don't want to lunch a transmission in the middle of nowhere.

I'll likely go through the clutch to make sure I don't have problems from the get go as it is 60 yrs old.

Larry

That is why I might leave the clutch alone? That will be my "power limiter"? Not that I want to wear it out too fast but just have to watch as I drive it. I also don't want to lunch a transmission in the middle of nowhere.

I'll likely go through the clutch to make sure I don't have problems from the get go as it is 60 yrs old.

Check for fatigue cracks and the rivets holding on the clutch lining. I would say those are the weakest points for failure. The clutch on my R spit all the clutch lining off one day. Not a good day for me. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I am usually wrong but I don't think that is a 300 or 6 speed if it is a 300 it is the first one I have ever seen with a liner finer oil filter no fan clutch and a belt drive power steering pump instead of one on the accessory drive and the six shift rod on a six speed should be exposed and have a rod going to shift tower that sits behind the main shifter I also don't know about the mechanical parking brake on the back

• Like 1

I am usually wrong but I don't think that is a 300 or 6 speed if it is a 300 it is the first one I have ever seen with a liner finer oil filter no fan clutch and a belt drive power steering pump instead of one on the accessory drive and the six shift rod on a six speed should be exposed and have a rod going to shift tower that sits behind the main shifter I also don't know about the mechanical parking brake on the back also no plumbing for tip turbine or air cooler

Nice. I saw an ad locally for 237/5spd for the same kind of money. Didn't jump on it.

That has a drum brake on the back> when did they stop putting those on??

$_14.JPG

My 1969 DM still has one.

Don't think that Ebay deal is a 300. Filter and breather tube and trans don't add up to me.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE