Cummins 855 ?

a4t

I'm thinking of doing a engine switch in a 300 hp articulated ag tractor I have. Current OEM engine is blown.

A friend installed an 855 Cummins small cam in an ag tractor he has.

Just wondering about the functional difference between a big cam and small cam 855. Which would be better? I'm engine knowledge challenged just trying to educate myself a bit. Also he suggested a Cat 3306 using a Steiger bellhousing. Which would be a better. Love to hear views from experience. Ag tractor operation around 2000 rpms constant rather than up and down like a truck seems to also be a factor. Any guidance appreciated

Theakerstwo is right. You have to change the pump. Not a big issue. Cummins guys will know exactly what you need. A few years back I helped a buddy put an 855 in a 4586. Pretty simple swap. Ran the exhaust up the corner of the cab and put an outside air filter on off an r model. Also extended the front of the frame for the radiator.

as cheap as they are now I would find a big cam 3 to put in it or a L 10 cummins swapped several in versatiles before not a fan of a 3306 in a tractor application its a constant load and will only live if you keep it 250 or less turn the screws and it wont make 400hours been there done that when they was brand new

big cam or small cam wont matter in an ag tractor, if I remember my cummins history right the large cam was developed so the cam lobes were larger to stand up to the punishment that a jake brake placed on the lobes, so unless you have hills like we do out west, the need for a engine brake probably don't factor into what you need to do. typically the cummins guys are great at helping you repower a machine with their product. be it drive couplings, mounts, oil pans, flywheels, or housings, and fuel pump and timing issues.