I have looked thru MACK Model B books that have photos of lots of different B's and have every B model listed and state the number produced and years produced in. I don't recall seeing a B85. I always understood that B70's & B80's series had the longer hood, and B80's had square or flat fenders. But I have seen photos in "wheels of time" and some truck papers of B models (fire trucks or that once were fire trucks), they are listed as B85's. They are definitely B models, but have round fenders and short hoods..... Was a B85 specificly and only a fire truck? Or a miss print?

I believe that the B-85 was a mack B80 series with a 275hp or 290hp cummins in it

• Like 1

I've always wondered about the B85 also (81 style). Would like to know the details!

What about the B 86 . The photo archives list 5 made. No pictures. There is a picture of a B 85 MOCK-UP. Has anyone ever seen a B 86 ?

• Like 1

Going to be one scarce doggie.

Haven't seen one.

I've seen the 80 series military fender B85 in the photo book endorsed by Mack...and that's only one picture. I've heard of and seen the fire apparatus with standard round fenders in many places. If you see one the other kind, buy it!

But if I remember correctly, the B-85 is one of those rare Mack exceptions - odd series number, but almost all are gas engines (not a surprise though as most were fire trucks).

never claim to know it all,,,,but i thought they were all flat fendered myself...bob

another interesting topic, not to hyjack this one but somewhere I read that Armaducci's single axle Maroon B81 is really a B80 and it came from the factory with a 413 Chrysler industrial. I would have never thought that would be an option, a small gas engine...

• Like 1

With that set up, open the hood and try to find the engine! Would also need some gears to do much.

Would be interesting to know the history and why the 413 was specified instead of the stock 707.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to know the history and why the 413 was specified instead of the stock 707

Just a guess on my part, but it was probably for the US government. They seemed to be the big buyer of the Chrysler powered B models. Considering that it was probably specced by someone in DC who had no idea what and where the truck would be used for it is not surprising it would be bought with a small engine in the name of standardization.

another interesting topic, not to hyjack this one but somewhere I read that Armaducci's single axle Maroon B81 is really a B80 and it came from the factory with a 413 Chrysler industrial. I would have never thought that would be an option, a small gas engine...

Would that have been a B-86? There were five of those listed and often with a different motor the number would change. I wouldn't be surprised if the 413 truck motor had as much or more power than a 707. They were popular in big Dodge tri and quad axle dumps.

If not, what was a B-86?

maybe a heavier B80 or a B80 with Hall- Scott engine Like Marv Comer once told me Mack did what ever fit and not much standardization

I knew a guy with a single axle R dump with a 413. Swore up and down it got nearly 10mpg, he was trying to sell it at the time :)