B-73 Restoration

OK thanks for that I thought that was the deal so that makes mat even more incredible … haha….. got a little video of a B model…. truck was absolutely gorgeous Watts show few weeks ago … .  But yes it’s definitely a lot easier and faster if you have an entire crew devoted to this all day long… bob

• Like 1

another  thought  to  having a full crew is 1- more projects can be worked on at the same time ;2- faster doesn't need to be part of restoration ;3- quality has a better chance. many positive comments have been made through out this B73 build. for basically one individual  to have been responsible for the entire 73 build and have it come out beyond perfection ;; no one sentence can sum up how great it looks.

• Like 2

Matt,

Thank you very much for this info and your service to our country!!! I have some friends with A&P licenses and it always shows up in their work, whatever they are doing. One in particular is Jeff Lakaszcyck over on the Just Old Trucks website. He spent over 30 years with NASA at Cape Canaveral. The military Mack at Macungie in 2021 is his, as well as the 1942 Federal C-2 Retriever, with the aircraft style inertia starter shown at the ATCA Winter national in Leesburg FL. The video of it starting the truck is on You Tube.

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

2 hours ago, h67st said:

Amen, thanks to guys like you standing in the gap, most Americans don't realize how fortunate we are to have an excellent military to keep things peaceful on our soil. I firmly believe that if we hadn't taken it to the terrorists in their country, we would have had more trouble in ours.

I dont think most people in the free world have any idea what goes into keeping it that way 

Paul

• Like 2

On 9/30/2022 at 6:16 PM, mattb73lt said:

Dropped the deck in the yard today and started to take a look at it. The plan was always to re-wood it, as it had some rot holes in it. Storage wasn't kind to it and the rest of the wood is gone, now. Picked away at it and I'll have to replace a bunch of the cross supports. I should have time this coming week to strip all the wood off to see what I'm facing. 

I have a charity convoy event to go to on Sunday, so I've been giving the other truck a little love. I have all the paper work squared away to get it registered and, hopefully, get some plates for it on 10/11. I did run it to a local garage to get the VIN verified (state requirement) and that was cool to hear it bark going to and from there. I've put about 4-5 miles on it from that and running it around the neighborhood. It really needs some weight on the rear axle, as it'll spin the tires with ease and the ride is like it doesn't have any springs in it. The ride between the two trucks is much different. The B42 is almost like a pickup truck, smooth, quiet and easy to drive. The B73 is pretty harsh, with a pretty stiff clutch. That should change with adding the body and making all my adjustments to just about everything as it becomes more roadworthy.

The two trucks look good together, but the B73 is just so much taller, the view is better and I'm appreciating the bigger size of the L cab.

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

I still can't get over that truck.  I wanna say it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.  But, I think that might be an insult.  I don't know that they ever looked that good from the factory.  Only thing wrong with it is that it's not sittin' in my driveway.  That would make it better.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

27 minutes ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I still can't get over that truck.  I wanna say it looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.  But, I think that might be an insult.  I don't know that they ever looked that good from the factory.  Only thing wrong with it is that it's not sittin' in my driveway.  That would make it better.

Thanks, Doubleclutchinweasel. It’s been a lot of work to bring it back, for sure. I do love seeing it sitting there in the driveway. Especially since it sat in pieces for so long scattered about the barn. Tried to make it my best restoration yet, after practicing on my other vehicles. Now I can’t wait to get it done and put it to some use!!