B-73 Restoration

18 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

I should say that is thee correct color for a 220.The later 250 and 335 was beige

I think it’s pretty close. It’s Bill Hirsch engine enamel in “Equipment Yellow”. I like the paint for its durability and longevity and have used it on numerous engines. There were some spots on the engine with some paint that seemed original that I painted some test spots on. It was a decent match to those spots. It certainly looks better than what it was.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

Actually, you should say "the original colour". The "correct" colour for an individuals engine is the colour THEY like and choose. I painted my E6 the "correct" colour for MY project, Model A Ford green. 

Resized_20210710_123006.jpg.7a4fcb792e532d7fa9d6145d36cbe4b9.jpg

Wow, nice detail work!!

20 hours ago, mowerman said:

i expect your going to a negative ground with auto alternater....i thought you hadda late model cat there at first....great progress and ten four on the weather....im on vacation this week i have been hoping for the same thing,,here....bob

Yeah, that was the plan. It’s tough to find an alternator to fit that area. The oil cooler is above it and the water inlet pipe runs down beside it. Generators are narrower in general. This is a 100 amp AC Delco unit, which should supply enough juice to run everything.

• Like 1

Looking great, I dunno what colour is meant to be, next tin along works pretty good most of the time

We dont have 8 inch grinders in Australia, or maybe they are a recent thing, it was all 4 inch or 9 inch and then in later years the 5 inch cordless, my preferred when of choice these days

And as the years have passed I cant do as much grinding with the 9 inch as I once could, my arms and hands just turn to jelly and I have to keep stopping to recover 

Paul

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I expect that engine was in good running condition I don’t recall you mentioning anything about It  except it came out of something else… bob

I heard it run before I bought it. It was supposed to be a low mile in frame overhaul and from the markings on it it appears to be. That was about 20 years ago. I pickled it and drained it a while ago and turn it over now and again. I'll have to prime the oil system as all the external lines have been replaced before I try to run it. I was going to do the cab at the same time, but I'll wait and do all the plumbing and electrical work that I can when the weather permits. Also need to get the driveshaft done. But, plenty inside the barn to do this winter to get ready for the final push this spring.

• Like 2

Hey Matt, I have been keeping up with your truck, It is going to be beautiful! It’s been so busy this summer I haven’t touched the LJ until today, I got the frame and running gear all done, I got the cab in the shop, have you still got the extra panels we talked about? Seeing yours has got me motivated! Thanks Dean 

7 minutes ago, 1961H67 said:

Hey Matt, I have been keeping up with your truck, It is going to be beautiful! It’s been so busy this summer I haven’t touched the LJ until today, I got the frame and running gear all done, I got the cab in the shop, have you still got the extra panels we talked about? Seeing yours has got me motivated! Thanks Dean 

Yes, I'm still saving all of that for you. I've been busy too and was about to reach out to you to see where you were with your truck. I'll message you directly and we'll get things set up shortly.

On 11/25/2021 at 9:22 AM, mattb73lt said:

Wow, nice detail work!!

Thanks. All for nothing really since as soon as I stick it down between the fender of my B61 you won't be able to see much of it. No matter, It's just my OCD at work I suppose. Its why I even changed all the oil pan bolts to yellow zinc grade 8's because they look better as if anyone will see them. I guess it is like when I was a kid with my '57 chevy and put new chrome jug nuts under the baby moon hub caps because "I knew they we there". 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Not so mad at all when you remove a hug cap-you get to look at them I am pretty much the same way partially why I don’t like to start projects  I go way overboard when I do. Also takes me way longer than I had figured ha ha you are a perfect example of the way I ordinarily operate on anything… … I pretty much drive myself crazy ….   Bob 

The magic baffle/divider within the rear half of a NH220 backdrop. I finally got a picture of it when I pulled the engine out of it's hiding spot. It's my understanding that the same manifold without the baffle/divider was meant for the 855 CI, 250 HP version.

IMG_2988.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Licensed to kill said:

Thanks. All for nothing really since as sone as I stick it down between the fender of my B61 you won't be able to see much of it. No matter, It's just my OCD at work I suppose. Its why I even changed all the oil pan bolts to yellow zinc grade 8's because they look better as if anyone will see them. I guess it is like when I was a kid with my '57 chevy and put new chrome jug nuts under the baby moon hub caps because "I knew they we there". 

No one else might see it, but it does help when you need to work on it or helps keep it clean over time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...