So I Have A Few Busted Frame Crossmembers...

genster

anyone have tips or tricks for getting the new ones in place??? they are the "u" shaped members that bolt together back to back. $250 a piece, and i need six of em!@!@!@@ they better not break again! oh well, gotta spend money to make money i suppose. i had alot of fun getting the old bolts out....torched the nuts off, and the 3/4" impact wouldnt budge them, so i got to stand on the fram rails with a 3/4" breaker bar and 4 foot pipe to get them lose so i could hammer them out. i only smashed my hand 3 times :D (i wore a welding glove, really helps to lessen the impact!!)

I replaced one on my R model last year, it cost 350 and came in three peices two ends and the center,it was very easy to bolt in,just leave all the bolts loose until you get them all in and then hit them with a big air gun.

i wish mine were in 3 pieces....the old ones were 3 piece design with the center sction welded to the 2 brackets on the side. the new ones are 1 piece 32" wide shaped like a "U" so i think im going to have to spread the frame a little to get them in.

• 2 weeks later...
a little update, i got all 3 crossmembers in and bolted up, should be all ready to go now. it actually wnet much easier than i thought, the worst part was getting the old bolts out of the frame.

Good Job I want to be the first to say! I really didn't have thoughts that you would not be able to get it done.

I usually blow the bolts off clean and drive the remainder through the holes, then take a port o power about 6" in front of the crossmember and give a spread, (just a little) and the member will usually come right out with a little nudge. Roll the new one into place, and let off the hydraulics, and adjust placement with a hammer to install new bolts and hardware.

Not a bad job really on an open frame. You don't need enough pressure to bend anything, just relax the bind. Usually less than one ton of pressure is all that is needed to spread the rails.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.