Ford Everest

kscarbel2

3 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

Bob, you know that I was planning to buy a US market Ranger and Everest, one each. But now we know Ford took the already perfect Ranger and ruined it. Only one engine and transmission.....no 2.2L and 3.2L diesel options, bland appearance, no manual transmission and I'm sure they added the essential Ford US market engine fire package as they did with the global market Kuga (known in the US as Escape).

And, Ford has apparently butchered the Everest to make something with the Bronco badge.

Ford lost two sales.

But then, what does one expect from an automaker focused on train station renovations.

Well I hear you.  I thought the Everest would have been a nice compliment to the current Explorer.  But instead the new Excplorer goes to a RWD platform with a NS engine layout but still unibody.  I too think the everest would have done well here-what real competition would it have had given the current crop of crossover look alikes?

As for the Ranger I have to admit-350HP and a 10 speed auto doesn't sound too bad-but I question their "one size fits all" mentality.  In particular the engineering associated with a manual trans was done I would have to believe.  To say nothing ofthe fact it has taken them how long to pull this off???

And the 'train station"????  I would like to have the haz mat remediation figures alone.   While I'm a firm supporter of the Ford family still calling the shots I think this is a case where their allegiance to Detroit is what carried this decision.  But I'm sure Hatchett was all on board after he called his Silicon Valley puppeteers and they told him.."yes milennials would like to work in an antique building that has cost millions to rehab,

• Like 2

Kirk Bell, Motor Authority  /  March 15, 2018

Ford Motor Company revealed it is betting big on SUVs in the future Thursday.

“Ford helped start the off-road phenomenon and has majored in off-road capability for decades—from the Bronco to the Raptor,” said Jim Farley, Ford president for global markets. “Now, we’re ready to reclaim our rightful place as the off-road vehicle leader.”

The teaser image for the Bronco shows a distinct upright and retro shape, along the lines of the Jeep Wrangler or the original World War II Jeep.

Powertrains were not discussed

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

1 hour ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Or maybe.......Ford is gonna get into the train business! 

Would make more sense... GE has an effective monopoly in freight locomotives with Cat owned EMD still struggling to produce a Tier 4 compliant locomotive. Rumor has it that GE wants to get out of the locomotive business, or with a billion dollars Ford could buy engines from Cummins and develop their own. The passenger locomotive business is even more in need of a new competitor, with German company Siemens getting Amtrak's latest order. In light rail the closest thing to a domestic maker is Bombardier, and Ford could produce significant cost savings and value with a standardized design, sort of like a 21st century PCC. As for trackage, Ford could make a good sized railroad out of just the trackage serving their plants! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TS7 said:

I wonder how much money Ford wastes in China?, Turkey? How about South America? Have any of you been to Detroit? I would rather Ford waste money in Detroit, than Turkey.

China has become the most profitable car market in the world for most automakers. Many couldn't survive without it. I can tell you that BMW, Daimler and Volkswagen earn over half their profits there nowadays, which is to say, they've become addicted to the Chinese market and couldn't survive without it. Remember, China overtook the US in 2009 to become the world's largest new car market. 

Ford Everest: A Raptor in seven-seat SUV drag

David Kavermann, Drive, NZ  /  September 1, 2018

You could be forgiven for thinking the Ford Everest is all but identical to the Ranger ute; the only difference being the SUV body shell. But you’d be wrong.

Although the idea of building a full-size SUV atop a ladder frame chassis isn’t unique to Ford — Holden, Isuzu and Toyota have all had a crack as well — the lengths Ford’s engineers, designers and marketers have gone to ensure the Everest isn’t mistaken for “just a truck” promises to elevate the company’s version to heights its competitors cannot match.

Of course there are carryover parts between the Everest and Ranger, but like all things, it’s the attention to finer details and specific tuning changes that separate them behind the wheel.

“Our goal with the new Everest was to take an already capable vehicle and make it more car-like,” explained Everest programme manager Dan Ciccocioppo.

In the three years since the Everest’s debut, Australian-based Ford engineers have funnelled feedback from owners on both sides of the Ditch to improve the seven-seat SUV in four key areas: noise vibration and harshness (NVH), ride quality (or “plushness” as Ciccocioppo preferred to call it), safety and fuel economy.

“We’ve listened to customer feedback to work out what they want and how they use their cars, but perhaps most importantly with the MY19 version, we’ve had the time to work through engineering changes, which we can now bring to market,” Ciccocioppo said.

The Everest’s development was Australian-led, based out of Ford’s You Yang Proving Grounds in Victoria and included “millions of kilometres of testing around the globe.”

For the New Zealand market, one fully-spec’d Ford Everest Titanium four-wheel drive will replace the current two-model Trend and Titanium line-up — with the first new models due to arrive in dealerships this month.

Stylewise, the Everest Titanium will be available in new colours with HID auto levelling headlamps and 20-inch wheels. The grille and bumper have been slightly tweaked but the design keeps in line with the company’s top-selling Ranger.

In the cabin, Titanium models feature full leather seating, dual glass sunroof, powerfold third-row seating with 50:50 split and illuminated stainless steel scuff plates. An 8-inch colour touchscreen display with Sync3, voice control and satellite navigation and 10-speaker audio system with amplifier is also standard.

Beneath the bodywork are new hidden features such as keyless entry and a hands-free tailgate. There are new driver assist technologies, too, with Autonomous Emergency Braking, Traffic Sign Recognition and Blind Spot Information System with Cross-Traffic Alert fitted as standard.

One of the biggest changes for the 2019 model is under the hood. The new Everest is powered by the same 2-litre four-cylinder Bi-Turbo engine found in the Ranger Raptor, producing more power (14kW), torque (30Nm) and improved fuel efficiency than the 3.2-litre five-cylinder it replaces. The Bi-Turbo engine produces 157kW of power at 3750rpm and 500Nm of torque between 1750 and 2500rpm.

The Everest also gains the Raptor’s 10-speed gearbox, the same ’box found in the V8 Mustang. In Everest trim, Ford say the 10-speed has been calibrated to stay in the lowest gear possible.

The new engine and gearbox increase towing capacity from 3 to 3.1 tonnes and a reduced fuel consumption rating from 8.5L/100km to 7.1L/100km. Driving the 2-litre and 3.2-litre back-to-back revealed the new engine to be a big step forward. It’s undoubtedly quieter and more refined, and the smaller capacity unit is more then up to the task of hauling the seven-seat SUV on- or off-road.

Another key difference between the Everest and Ranger is the suspension set-up. Repositioning of the stabiliser bar — a design unique to the Everest — has allowed Ford to fit stiffer roll bars (reducing body roll) and soften spring rates to better absorb bumps. The changes result in a ride hold, feel and comfort few SUVs in this class can match.

The Everest can soak up bumps with ease on uneven surfaces, all the while losing none of the off-road capability we’ve come to expect from the outgoing model.

Logically, the Everest’s natural competition will come in the form of the ute-based Holden Trailblazer, Isuzu MU-X and Toyota Fortuner, but Ford believe the new updated model has to goods to attract customers loyal to established nameplates like the Land Cruiser Prado.

With sales local sales totalling around 50 units every month, Ford is hoping the latest model will draw more interest in the relatively new nameplate.

Add to that more than 1000 litres of boot space, improved on-road refinement and go-anywhere capability off-road,the Everest SUV could be one of the most under-rated models in New Zealand’s booming SUV market.

Ford Everest Titanium

Price: $87,990 (US$65,342)

Engine: 2.0-litre turbo diesel, 10-speed automatic

Pro: Greatly improved feature set, engine, ’box, ride comfort — without compromising off-road capability

Con: Single model range could hinder entry-level buyers

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

IMO this would be a stand alone competitor in the US -at least as far as GM and FCA competition.  I wonder why they did not consider leaving the Explorer with its current configuration (E-W engine lay out)  and capitalizing on the rugged Everest as the N-S engine layout and making a PI out of that.

Instead seems like they are spending a lot of $$ on converting the Explorer to a RWD, N-S engine layout and ignoring what could have been done with Everest.

So much for Mulally's "One Ford"-or so it seems to me.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 9:07 AM, Red Horse said:

IMO this would be a stand alone competitor in the US -at least as far as GM and FCA competition.  I wonder why they did not consider leaving the Explorer with its current configuration (E-W engine lay out)  and capitalizing on the rugged Everest as the N-S engine layout and making a PI out of that.

Instead seems like they are spending a lot of $$ on converting the Explorer to a RWD, N-S engine layout and ignoring what could have been done with Everest.

So much for Mulally's "One Ford"-or so it seems to me.

Since when was the Explorer NOT a RWD (or 4x4) with the engine facing the proper way?

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

19 minutes ago, RowdyRebel said:

Since when was the Explorer NOT a RWD (or 4x4) with the engine facing the proper way?

Since 2011 (right Bob?), when it adopted the D4 unibody car platform (a modified D3 platform) with a transversely-mounted engine and front-wheel drive/AWD.

The Everest is based on the truck frame Ranger and is a very nice vehicle, however the Explorer fits the N/A market better for various reasons. Most people here do not use that type of vehicle the way an Everest was intended and the N/A extensive paved roads or highway system is more favorable to 'car like' driving SUVs. The Explorer offers easier exit and entry ( especially for elderly parents) and the 3rd row seat is more comfortable. My family has an Everest in the Caribbean so I am comparing to the Explorers I sell here. I would rather have an Everest there due to the road conditions and terrain but an Explorer here unless I did serious off roading in the U.S or needed more ground clearance.

Toyota does still sell their Everest competitor here, the 4runner but their Camry based Highlander sells almost twice as much last year.  Lexus  wised up and is  selling a 7 pass Camry based RX. Their 4runner/Prado based 7 pass GX shunned many who preferred the qualities favored by this market mentioned above.

However, since the Ranger will coming back to the U.S it may be viable to offer an Everest type SUV here for people who need those capabilities. It may not look like the Everest overseas though or use that name. The Bronco will use the Ranger underpinnings so maybe that will be it but with retro Bronco styling.

Keep in mind that the last U.S Ranger shared underpinnings with the older body-on-frame Explorer, so the economies of scale allowed both to be offered here. When the Explorer went to the Volvo derived platform that further killed off the Ranger ( even though I know others will agree with me that there was a case to keep the Ranger here).

The new Explorer next year will sit on Ford's new very flexible platform and will have a longitudinal mounted powertrain. I think Ford is keeping it as quiet as long as possible because we are still selling the current Explorers like hotcakes.

2 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

The Everest is based on the truck frame Ranger and is a very nice vehicle, however the Explorer fits the N/A market better for various reasons. Most people here do not use that type of vehicle the way an Everest was intended and the N/A extensive paved roads or highway system is more favorable to 'car like' driving SUVs. The Explorer offers easier exit and entry ( especially for elderly parents) and the 3rd row seat is more comfortable. My family has an Everest in the Caribbean so I am comparing to the Explorers I sell here. I would rather have an Everest there due to the road conditions and terrain but an Explorer here unless I did serious off roading in the U.S or needed more ground clearance.

Toyota does still sell their Everest competitor here, the 4runner but their Camry based Highlander sells almost twice as much last year.  Lexus  wised up and is  selling a 7 pass Camry based RX. Their 4runner/Prado based 7 pass GX shunned many who preferred the qualities favored by this market mentioned above.

However, since the Ranger will coming back to the U.S it may be viable to offer an Everest type SUV here for people who need those capabilities. It may not look like the Everest overseas though or use that name. The Bronco will use the Ranger underpinnings so maybe that will be it but with retro Bronco styling.

Keep in mind that the last U.S Ranger shared underpinnings with the older body-on-frame Explorer, so the economies of scale allowed both to be offered here. When the Explorer went to the Volvo derived platform that further killed off the Ranger ( even though I know others will agree with me that there was a case to keep the Ranger here).

The new Explorer next year will sit on Ford's new very flexible platform and will have a longitudinal mounted powertrain. I think Ford is keeping it as quiet as long as possible because we are still selling the current Explorers like hotcakes.

JB-You are sort of making my point-The Explorer is doing well in a world populated by a lot of similar competitors.  The Everest IMO would represent something Ford does not have here and also would not have as many competitors competing for that true "off road capable" vehicle.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Red Horse said:

JB-You are sort of making my point-The Explorer is doing well in a world populated by a lot of similar competitors.  The Everest IMO would represent something Ford does not have here and also would not have as many competitors competing for that true "off road capable" vehicle.

Yes, plus if it also has the rugged 'look' effect it would be a win-win for not only selling to those who really go off road but also for those who want to look like they do. That has been one of the successful aspects of the Wrangler.