Do purebread Macks have a gold Bulldog?

I am looking to buy a Model R dump truck. I want one that is all Mack. Someone told me, that an all Mack truck should have a gold Bulldog.

I do not remember ever seeing a Model R with a gold Bulldog. I thought the engine,transmission rear-end and springs made it a purebread.

Please correct me. Just want to be informed. Than you.

As far as I know at least in Australia the gold dog came out with Maxidyne powered trucks and was to represent the new Maxidyne motor

Plenty of people say it is only a pure Mack drive line that has the gold dog but Mack Australia's official word is it was when the Maxidynes came out in the 60's

How ever I think today any new Mack that has the all Mack drive line has a gold dog

but from the late 60's till the end of the production run of the Maxidyne thats what the gold dog was for

Paul

• Like 1

In the more modern trucks the gold dog symbolizes all mack driveline. Depending on the age of the R you are looking at, that may not be the case. My truck is "All Mack" but has the chrome pooch cause it was born with an eaton trans, but had an addadiktome.

I too was told that on the older Macks, the gold bulldog symbolized the maxidyne engine Vs the thermodyne. Some on else maybe able to verify, the maxidyne engine was overhead cam and the thermodyne was a push rod engine? ? ?

I asked Harvey Eckert this time-honored question. It's not a simple answer. It is, however a myth that gold dogs symbolize a 100% purebred driveline. I do remember something about Maxidyne versus Thermodyne versus another MFR's engine, as well as Maxitorque versus other transmissions. I will see if I can find the email with the answer.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I too was told that on the older Macks, the gold bulldog symbolized the maxidyne engine Vs the thermodyne. Some on else maybe able to verify, the maxidyne engine was overhead cam and the thermodyne was a push rod engine? ? ?

Both engines are overhead valve engines (push rod), neither are overhead cam engines

Ron

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i drove an R795 and an F795. The model number indicates they both had ENDT865 325 V8 Maxidynes and both had gold dogs. The V8 logos on the trucks were also gold. They were pedigreed as well, with the 5 speed and Mack bogeys.

I also have had many R, U and DM Macks that had chrome bulldogs and all Mack components all of these were Thermodines or 237 maxidines , I was told that the gold dog was used on trucks with all Mack components and the 300 or 325 engines. I have one R with a 300 and a gold dog and also have owned 4 others with 300's and all had the gold dogs-

We use to order Midliners with Gold dogs for goodness sakes.

Superdog has it right!

Keep in mind everyone,for the last 35 years you could order a Gold dog off of the assembly line or have it installed on delivery just because you wanted a Gold dog. It's always been an option.

I know of a 1988 Rmodel bought new from local company & sold to a friend that I have driven; it had econodyne on the hood & gold dog on the hood & mirrors; it also an all Mack component; I can't imagine this company special ordering gold hood ornament; although it had to have been order special; it had 5 speed trans with 555 gears; reverse was way to fast hard to back up; low gear was to high too; but when you got started it would roll; it would out run & pull his 91 CH with 9 speed; both had 300 engine but R was all mechanical & CH had electronics

• 4 years later...

Google tells me:

What does a gold Mack Bulldog mean?
Trademark. The company's trademark is the bulldog, which can be found on the front of almost all Mack trucks. A gold-plated bulldog indicates the truck was made with a Mack produced drive train, engine, transmission and drive axles. A chromebulldog indicates other manufacturers' components were used.