CHU Superliner III

If you put a Mp10 in a chu and extend the hood and frame its going to be as heavy as a titan and just as expensive. You can order a titan with lighter frame rails a 12 or 14.6 front and 38 or 40 rearends on air ride and its no heavier than a kw w900 then put a mail mak after market sleeper on it you'd have your truck .

No then you'd have a truck a foot taller with a crawl thru cut out aftermarket sleeper that was still heavier and still cost more and wasn't an axle forward. I guess this was too much to ask for BMT members, I'll take it somewhere else I've already gotten feedback from those I mentioned may be watching.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Keep in mind that there wasn't much good reason to create the Superliner back in the 70s to begin with- For hauling at the then 73k and 80k limits the ordinary R model conventional and F and Cruseiliner cabovers worked just fine. The Superliner was created to woo in a sliver of the market- guys who wanted a "show off" truck, and were willing to pay extra for it. For the real heavy haulers that needed the power of the mighty Mack V-8s the 800 series RD and DM worked better. That sliver of a market is even smaller today, and simply not worth chasing, especially with the EPA about to retire the high nose conventional anyway.

I think the concept is a good one if it could be done within a reasonable budget like you said. (Not having to do a bunch of rejigging). Be it a small percent of trucks I think mack could make a name for itself in the o/o market like the old days. Pete and kenworth have been doing it for years so there must be some appeal for that kind of rig. If you build it they will come. I could go on forever but I will stop there.

Problem is that OOs are a small and shrinking market. What is needed is more options for the Titan to accomodate users in the states that allow heavier weights. For example, South Dakota allows around 145k pounds on 13 axle doubles, that's more than a the CX and CH's 13 liter engines can be expected to handle. But South Dakota is 400 miles across so at least a small sleeper is a good idea, but to get the 16 liter engine needed for those weights you have to get a Titan, which ain't available with a sleeper.

• Like 1

Ive always thought they should of made a extended hood ch set forward or at the time a set forward CL . I was happy when they came out the Titan. I don't consider the Titan to be a set back axle . it's pretty much a center mounted front its farther back than a RW but forward of CL. I like the high rise Aussie style cab and air intakes for heavy haul it is nice because you get a lot of air flow and they run cool even on steep grades with 60 tons gross in 90 plus heat they keep there cool. I agree they should make a highway truck with mp 10 available.

No then you'd have a truck a foot taller with a crawl thru cut out aftermarket sleeper that was still heavier and still cost more and wasn't an axle forward.

I guess this was too much to ask for BMT members,

I'll take it somewhere else I've already gotten feedback from........... those I mentioned may be watching.

I don't think you'll find a more knowledgeable group of people on the subject than here at BMT.

Are you troubled simply because they didn't align with your thoughts?

• Like 1

Ok, I've got the solution: For a mere $20k upcharge, we slam the cab and hood of a Titan smack down on da frame. That means a bunch of stuff like air cleaners will have to move to the cowling, so you can show them off. Take off the black fender extensions, trim the fill-in panel behind the front wheels, lose the fill-in panel under the doors, and add the sleeper of your choice. 'Course, the radiator's gonna have to get shortened, so the keep the engine from meltdown we'll cut it back to the 500 HP "super economy" programming they sell in Canada, with the automated manual the only choice... "Cowboys" can't shift worth a damn anyways, and their fingers are too busy texting anyhow. But even though it's got no more power than a 13 liter MP13-505, you can lift that long hood in the truckstop parking lot and show off that huge engine... For a mere $200k it can be yours, financing available, and we should have plenty of late model used repos on the lot too shortly!

No then you'd have a truck a foot taller with a crawl thru cut out aftermarket sleeper that was still heavier and still cost more and wasn't an axle forward. I guess this was too much to ask for BMT members, I'll take it somewhere else I've already gotten feedback from those I mentioned may be watching.

I feel your pain. We over here at the Stark shop have asked about a similar truck. We don't need a big block, I think the MP8 is too much for what we do, but a refreshed CH axle forward would great. Do something with the grille and head lights. It's been 20 plus years and our 2014 doesn't look much different from our 1996. Personally I want an updated Value-liner, base it off the Granite chassis. Light weight classy looking axle forward vocational truck.

• Like 1

I'm still for a big block long hood, set forward axle. But not a bulky looking hood, I like narrow as can be. I know this truck can be built by mack/Volvo. The cab can be lowered for owner/operator, paccar makes it work. I do like the size of the current cab and some mid roof sleeper options would be great

The cab of the Titan does not to be as high as it is to operate in the North American climate. That design came from Australia. The Volvo VN with D16 power has that engine wedged in there and is a big seller in Northern Ontario for example. The Mack/Volvo dealer in Northern Ontario (which is logging heavy haul territory) sells WAY more Volvo D16's then Titan MP10's. The market has dictated where Volvo needs to invest or keep operating in this case. Mack engineering gave up on fitting a larger sleeper on the Titan years ago, I doubt they have any interest in outfitting the current cab CHU with MP10 power. Anything going forward would be for the new cab to be released. So everyone still has a few years of dreaming, have at 'er. When that cab is released most of the guys on here will be running for the hills because it doesn't resemble an R series cab anyway.

Both. Mack salesman here complain they loose on deals due to price more then any other reason. Guys up here that have Titans are hard core Mack guys. Good to seen but it shows that money is no object to their situation. Don't forget, the only difference between the 2 is a cab and hood. If you deny that you may need to speak to a professional. You can order almost the exact powertrain and Chassis from either sister manufacturer. It's about price or pride. Simple really. Titan isn't even considered a competing truck up here to KW, Pete or Western Star. It's almost considered a rich man's truck here. Most just buy granites or heavier pinnacles and beat the snot out of them. If they need the 15L and above power most go elsewhere. It is what it is.

• Like 2

We are the only log haulers in our area that run titans. A few have priced them but wouldn't buy because of the price difference. We are the hard core Mack guys . we figure the extra 150 dollars a month was worth it but your right most people won't spend the extra.

When I bought my Titan I priced out a granite and titan. Truck for truck. $6700 difference. I also priced Titans at other dealers and they were way higher priced. I think a lot of salesmen figured guys would spend the extra money. I'm running 91,000 pounds gross on a six axle straight truck. The granite I tested with the "heavy" frame was 80,000 on six axles. The driving difference is night and day. So glad I spent the extra $6700. Same thing as driving a CL or a granite.

What pisses me off is most of the salesmen I have talked to, knew very little about the trucks. I would give them my specs and they would say "we don't do this or offer that" What ever happened to the guys that eat, breathed and slept Macks? If you're selling the stuff you should take some time and know things.

Sadly, we live in a new era where very few real truck salesmen, and customers that are truck people, still exist.

• Like 2

Spec'ed a CHN in February, had a few things the computer didn't like so it had to go to engineering. Called last month just to see what was up after all its only been 4 months. Nothing back yet.

my red flags were.

a 5th wheel slide at least 65 inch that starts from the center of the rear axle.

Passenger side fuel tank shut off valves

I wanted the exhaust underneath but where it comes out it would be in behind the passenger side fuel tank.

I can walk into Peterbilt and get all this plus 600hp cummins in 8 to 10 weeks.

Now remember I'm still waiting on engineering aproval if they can build.

Does you dream truck utilize the 27-year-old Mack legacy cab, or the new Mack brand variant of the Volvo global market cab?

"Volvo has things a certain way for reasons"....................well put.

I would certainly hope that the mack cab would be used. Who in he'll would buy one with the other piece of shit looking cab on it.