CHU Superliner III

Ok so I know we have thrown several crazy scenarios around on here more than once, but lets just say for the sake of argument...totally hypothetically of course that someone at Mack was listening. Now lets just say that they were gauging interest and lets just say they were trying to push a new product. So since we have said all that, who here among the BMT ranks would be interested in a CHU with an MP-10 605-625hp engine. Now asking that I have to add this, lets just say that some engineering had already been done and that some clearance issues had come to light and that the cab was going to need to move back about 4" and there would need to be a filler panel made to fill the gap from the std. CHU hood and the front of the cab. There are a couple of ways that could go but one possible scenario I see is to move the cab back 5-6" making the filler panel long enough to offer dual breather option or just the smooth filler panel thereby creating another owner operator option for the truck. I also see this being the possible revival of the SuperLiner badge for the US, to be offered in the long hood version powered by either the MP8 or MP10, with Super Liner specific badges and interior touches. So just Hypothertically without any nit picking and craziness who would be interested and what other options would you like to see on the CHU (other than a heavier front axle, I have made that clear already)?

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

quite an interesting concept.

will this be set as one of them there "slippery trucks"? or square nose like the classic Superliner?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

As long as it has an updated but classic Superliner look, not one that looks like wax sitting in the hot sun.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

LET'S JUST SAY THAT I WORKED FOR THE CURRENT MACK COMPANY AND WAS REALLY INTO THE PROGRESSION OF THE "BUILT LIKE A MACK TRUCK" HERITAGE AND WOULD LOVE TO CREATE A NEW BREED OF MACK TRUCK OWNERS, USERS AND ENTHUSIASTS I WOULD TURN IN THOSE PLANS TO MY BOSS AS THE NEW MACK "RETROLINER" ! THESE PLANS WOULD PARALLEL THE FORD MUSTANG, THE CHEVROLET CAMARO AND THE DODGE CHALLENGER. SUGGESTIONS ACCEPTED AS FAR AS OPTIONS. JUST MY 2 CENTS BUT I LOVE THE CONCEPT!!

Ok, so this is a bit along them lines but the Australian mack branch has used the superliner tag since about 2003. And still make brand new!

Earlier ones had cummins isx and cat c-15/c-16 power and are a pretty nice looking truck.

Newer ones have the mp-10 but there isn't much resemblance to the old superliners.

Would love to see how you guys would do it!

Wow that went way the hell off topic. Ok so for those that dont know a CHU is the current set forward axle Mack CH, like a rawhide. This would be one of those trucks (CHU) with one of those hoods (CHU) but the cab would be farther back and it would be offered with the big MP10 16 liter engine. As far as the Superliner name goes, sorry Mike we all want the old but they are gone, and there is no scania V8 either. So as to my real question (someone may be keeping track) who would be interested in a mack set forward axle CH with a longer hood/filler panel and a MP10 600+hp engine, with or without the Superliner designation?

Im going to go ahead and put my vote in for the idea and the Superliner name plate, I would probably buy one if it made production and if the filler panel was 6" long and I could option it with dual stainless breathers I would probably do that as well but thats not a deal breaker.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Not a big enough market to justify it. Owner-operators and small fleets buy only 15% or so of new trucks these days, and the fleets aren't going to buy 600 HP trucks for our low 80,000 pound weight limits. It would be easier to just offer some sleeper options on the Titan which should satisfy the Canadian, Michigan, etc. operators and Billy Big Riggers who want an overpowered truck to show off.

The market exists, be it small as it is. Volvo offers it as the VNX and it's priced WAY cheaper then the Titan. The MP10 should have been made available long ago in something besides the over priced Titan. The D16 has been available in the VN highway trucks for years without the ridiculous heavy frame etc. Did I also mention that you can get the big engine and a huge sleeper....Volvo has things a certain way for reasons. Reasons Mack employees keep to them selves for fear of being suddenly unemployed. Great on the truck, tough sell to the Mother ship. I'd be in for that.

• Like 1

Instead of reinventing the Superliner, Mack needs to fix what's holding the Titan back. Add some options like an axle forward for bridge law states, a further back axle for Michigan trains, a full line of sleepers for the truckers out west who can legally run across several states and mountain ranges at 129k pounds and more, and a shorter BBC for the Canadians who need a sleeper but have to fit 20 meters of doubles into a 25 meter overall length. Add some dress up options and the Titan would be the first choice for heavy weight haulage and sell in the thousands!

• Like 2

Ok maybe I need to narrow this down even farther for some! There is a chance something may happen but it needs to use 90% or better parts that are already used in production trucks. To add a sleeper to the titan would be nice but it still won't sell for otr use, its too big, too heavy and too expensive. Using parts in existing inventory and adding some small relatively inexpensive parts to fill gaps that don't require large die and mold investments is the only way this will work. The owner op market is dominated by 15-16 liter engines and this will bring Mack fully into that market with the CHU. As far as sales numbers would go there are thousands of owner operators, heavy haul contractors and companies is that operate in mountainous territory that will not run anything smaller than a 15 liter engine and the only current offering from Mack (Titan) has no real sleeper option and is far too heavy and expensive to be in the market.

I totally agree with your product vision and the gaping hole that exists in Mack's product line. If you were to bring this up to a Mack "bigwig" they would most likely agree that you have a valid point about the short comings in Macks options. This has been pointed out to Mack's sales and engineering numerous times and the big picture has been explained as such.... Most dealers are Volvo/Mack now. What you can't order in a Mack, we have a Volvo that will fill that void in your needs.

• Like 1

Ok maybe I need to narrow this down even farther for some! There is a chance something may happen but it needs to use 90% or better parts that are already used in production trucks. To add a sleeper to the titan would be nice but it still won't sell for otr use, its too big, too heavy and too expensive. Using parts in existing inventory and adding some small relatively inexpensive parts to fill gaps that don't require large die and mold investments is the only way this will work. The owner op market is dominated by 15-16 liter engines and this will bring Mack fully into that market with the CHU. As far as sales numbers would go there are thousands of owner operators, heavy haul contractors and companies is that operate in mountainous territory that will not run anything smaller than a 15 liter engine and the only current offering from Mack (Titan) has no real sleeper option and is far too heavy and expensive to be in the market.

Does you dream truck utilize the 27-year-old Mack legacy cab, or the new Mack brand variant of the Volvo global market cab?

"Volvo has things a certain way for reasons"....................well put.

• Like 1

Ok so I know we have thrown several crazy scenarios around on here more than once, but lets just say for the sake of argument...totally hypothetically of course that someone at Mack was listening. Now lets just say that they were gauging interest and lets just say they were trying to push a new product. So since we have said all that, who here among the BMT ranks would be interested in a CHU with an MP-10 605-625hp engine. Now asking that I have to add this, lets just say that some engineering had already been done and that some clearance issues had come to light and that the cab was going to need to move back about 4" and there would need to be a filler panel made to fill the gap from the std. CHU hood and the front of the cab. There are a couple of ways that could go but one possible scenario I see is to move the cab back 5-6" making the filler panel long enough to offer dual breather option or just the smooth filler panel thereby creating another owner operator option for the truck. I also see this being the possible revival of the SuperLiner badge for the US, to be offered in the long hood version powered by either the MP8 or MP10, with Super Liner specific badges and interior touches. So just Hypothertically without any nit picking and craziness who would be interested and what other options would you like to see on the CHU (other than a heavier front axle, I have made that clear already)?

Are you not happy with the 500 Superliners you have now?

Good luck getting a reborn Superliner through the upcoming EPA fuel economy standards. By the late 2020s the flat hood trucks will largely disappear, being too un-aerodynamic to meet the standards. Same with the 15 and 16 liter engines, too much friction to meet the standards. By the late 2020s almost every truck will have to use every aerodynamic trick in the book, and smaller engines, single drive axles, and automated dual clutch transmissions will be the norm. The only chance of survival for a flat hood tractor will be a separate standard EPA is proposing for "Heavy Haul Tractors", and IIRC they're required to have at least a 150k GCW rating, 20M RBM frame, and 57:1 gear reduction... Kinda overkill for 80K GCW.

• Like 1

Does you dream truck utilize the 27-year-old Mack legacy cab, or the new Mack brand variant of the Volvo global market cab?

"Volvo has things a certain way for reasons"....................well put.

Any further info on the new cab? Pictures? Specs?

On that note yeah, Id like to see the super liner return.

I've only "moved" a Titan that was in for service but I did drive the D16 in a Volvo and it had good power. We serviced a heavy hauler from NJ that had a 11-12? Titan and he had nothing but great things to say about it.

Any further info on the new cab? Pictures? Specs?

On that note yeah, Id like to see the super liner return.

I've only "moved" a Titan that was in for service but I did drive the D16 in a Volvo and it had good power. We serviced a heavy hauler from NJ that had a 11-12? Titan and he had nothing but great things to say about it.

As has been mentioned here, the second generation LE was shelved in 2008 by Volvo. Finally in 2014, the second generation LE was displayed in 2014 as the LR, and formally launched this year. My point is, it hasn't bothered Volvo to soldier on with obsolete cabs so as to pinch a penny.

Current Mack brand employees on this forum won't speak about the new cab, out of need for job security.

Mack dealers are continually told the new cab is in the wings. It's not a matter of existence, but rather when to phase in.

• Like 1