Pto Shifter

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for a dash mountable PTO shifter. Any one have one?

You looking for one that just does on/off? Or do you need dump (or any other) controls along with the switch? Seems any on/off air switch should work for an air-operated PTO...and any electric switch (of proper amp rating) would work for an electric PTO.

The controller for the PTO I run my blower with came as part of the installation kit with the PTO, so I'm not too sure where I'd go to get another one. The controller for the second PTO that I run a hydraulic pump for a dump with I bought at Cape Tractor Trailer Supply in Cape Girardeau, MO....I think it was $150 if I remember right, but mounts under the dash....has the on/off switch as well as the raise/hold/lower for the dump. Any local tractor/trailer supply location SHOULD be able to get you something similar. I didn't like the tower that the previous truck owner had in this truck...took up too much space in the cab. When I started pulling it out, I noticed that all of the switches were just generic switches like you could find at Wal-Mart (the electric ones, anyway...the air switches LOOKED the same, except had air connections on the back instead of electrical ones).

What I've got now:

l_7940c7f21500bf60af331c4e19481521.jpg

What came out:

l_df2a99796b722df33c3435f52695662f.jpg

I suppose those switches in the old tower COULD be installed on a bracket in any other location in the truck...or even just put in a hole drilled directly into the dash. It'd do the job, but it might not look too purty...I guess that would depend on how much fabrication work a person would be willing to do :blink:

Edited by RowdyRebel
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

it turns the puff limiter on or off. its just for smoke shows. normaly its plumbed into the parking brake to actavate its operation. I just put it on a dash switch.

Trent

...still not sure what a puff limiter does, other than having some magical ability to stop the DOT from writing you a ticket for something...and now that it can be rigged up to be turned on and off manually. I'm guessing if it has something to do with smoke...but not sure how that has anything to do with DOT fines... :blink:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...still not sure what a puff limiter does, other than having some magical ability to stop the DOT from writing you a ticket for something...and now that it can be rigged up to be turned on and off manually. I'm guessing if it has something to do with smoke...but not sure how that has anything to do with DOT fines... :blink:
When the accelerator is depressed, and the puff limiter is operating as designed, the puff limiter does not allow the injector pump rack to go all the way to "full fuel" position until the turbo produces enough boost to burn the fuel without excessive smoke.

Trent has a shutoff valve plumbed into the puff limiter control line to turn off the air to the puff limiter cylinder, allowing the pump to go to full fuel immediately when the accelerator is depressed.

This makes smoke on acceleration, but also gives much better throttle response - the engine pulls like crazy right away, instead of waiting a second or two for turbo boost to build to the point where the puff limiter allows the pump to open up.

That's how you do it on the older reversing relay type puff limiters.

The later type aneroid puff limiters can also be circumvented by setting up a regulated 25 psi air supply to the aneroid diaphragm to "fool" the aneroid control into thinking the engine has turbo boost at all times, thus enabling the rack to go to full fuel immediately when the throttle is depressed.

The "on - off" switch allows the puff limiter to be returned to normal operation for "road use", so as not to be out of compliance with EPA regulations.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

BTW, RR, in that photo you posted, I see that your truck has an electronically controlled engine, as evidenced by the potentiometer type electronic accelerator pedal.

This puff limiter disabling stuff is not applicable to the electronically controlled engines, you'd have to mess with the ECM, or install some sort of aftermarket "chip".

Or take the intake manifold pressure sensor out of the manifold and connect it to a regulated 35 psi air line to "fool" the ecm into thinking the engine has turbo boost at all times. ;););););););)

Of course that would not be legal, so I wouldn't recommend it.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

BTW, RR, in that photo you posted, I see that your truck has an electronically controlled engine, as evidenced by the potentiometer type electronic accelerator pedal.

This puff limiter disabling stuff is not applicable to the electronically controlled engines, you'd have to mess with the ECM, or install some sort of aftermarket "chip".

Or take the intake manifold pressure sensor out of the manifold and connect it to a regulated 35 psi air line to "fool" the ecm into thinking the engine has turbo boost at all times. ;););););););)

Of course that would not be legal, so I wouldn't recommend it.

gotcha :thumb:

And yer right....it's an '01, so its got the 'lectronics....but its only "illegal" if yer caught B)

gotcha :thumb:

And yer right....it's an '01, so its got the 'lectronics....but its only "illegal" if yer caught B)

Do they smog test in the communist republic of Illinois on large trucks?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

RowdyRebel: You said that you bought the shifter that is shown on the left side of the first picture at the Cape Trailer store?

Left side shifter came with the PTO....it's a Muncie, so any Muncie supplier ought to be able to get it...just a simple on/off with a light. The right side PTO switch is the one I bought at Cape Tractor Trailer Supply to run the hydraulics for a dump.

I got an emission letter about 2 years ago and had to go in for a test. It passed with the switch in the "normal" position

Was that from the Chicagoland area, or a statewide function?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob

I think its more of a chicago land thing as all my newer cars get letters about every 3 years I think they law just changed recently to only test cars 1992 and newer? my 91 toyota did not get a notice this year and I was expecting it. I know I have frineds that live out in the sticks and they dont get hastled with letters like I do.

Trent

Rob

I think its more of a chicago land thing as all my newer cars get letters about every 3 years I think they law just changed recently to only test cars 1992 and newer? my 91 toyota did not get a notice this year and I was expecting it. I know I have frineds that live out in the sticks and they dont get hastled with letters like I do.

Trent

You've gotta watch them emissions nazis up there...got a buddy in Joliet who was past due on getting his car tested (he was out on the road)...scale house in Indiana pulled him around back and when they checked his license, it came back suspended!

So, his company had to send another driver ASAP to come get the truck to finish his run...he had to find a ride home...and he had to deal with a "driving a CMV on suspended license" ticket. :angry:

Yep you get 3 letters then suspension. In fairness it takes about 4 months of warning letters. If you dont pass they give you a month or more o fix the issue. I had to have a 91 suberban and 89 chevy tested 2 years ago and both failed the gas cap test. My work is only a mile from the facility so I went back and stole a gas cap from a frined and went back,Passed the test both times with the same gas cap LOL!

I think IL emissions is baced on the area and population that the car or truck is taged in.If I recall a few years back, Mc Henry county they did not have emissions, fast forward to today and they do as its getting populated.

Trent

Rob

Trent

Growing up in St. Louis the cars and trucks had to be safety inspected by the state yearly, and a St. Louis city sticker had to be purchased annually also. This was in the 60's so the practice has went on for a long time. Any way they can get money out of you.

Rob