vision386

Been a while.....................

Love those Matlack R's and the Brockway. Other pics aint bad either! Thanks for posting!

Man, how did they keep the logger from upsetting on a curve.

Pretty scary to see it is a LM with offset cab.

You know what happens to those U models!

• Like 1

That Brockway is nice.

Our would you want to be the one Tightening those cables or loosening them

I doubt you'd catch me standing next to the logs in the first picture.

That red b model is what I always imagined the phantom 309 to look like.

Cheers for the pics.

great pics I reckon that log truck has a good load of sticks on it

Paul

The headache rack on that log truck makes me laugh. With a load like that what's the point?!

• Like 1

it just holds the trailer tongue when empty....... at least with that load!... now i want to see the cable loader that loaded it!!!

I never saw Matlacks with black fenders, I just remember the all green ones. Did Matlack just fold or were they bought out? Nice pics. Love pictures of the fallen Mack fleets.

Might make for a fallen Mack fleet thread. :twothumbsup:

• Like 1

I never saw Matlacks with black fenders, I just remember the all green ones. Did Matlack just fold or were they bought out? Nice pics. Love pictures of the fallen Mack fleets.

Might make for a fallen Mack fleet thread. :twothumbsup:

I am not sure about Matlack"Pipeline on Wheels" demise. But about another fallen Mack Tank Fleet Chemical Leaman is now Quality Carriers from Tampa,Florida. We had a truck leased onto Quality for about 15 years. Thanks Joe D.

i see those Matlack R's have air starter tanks and no battery box on the pass side. don't think I ever saw an R with only one battery box . kinda a shame to see all those big Mack fleets gone and replaced with plain white and blue trucks

Mark

Was that Matlack picture taken in Sweedsboro NJ??? I do not remember any Matlack tractors with blck fenders either? I think it is just the way the shadow falls on them??

No aiar starters either?? The 2 white dots behind the fuel tank in the first one are pump outlets and the black square in the last one is a PTO driven compressor for blowing off liquid loads.

I think Matlack went out of business (union issues?). A good friend of mine worked in the maintenance shop and moved to Air Products. He since retired from AP. I will see him at York if not I will see him at Macungie. There is a current Matlack website (can't post link) for "old timers" and shows pics of the fleet and functions.

I think all were green with yellow wheels. The shadows make them look like black fenders.

There was a quality carriers out of Wisconsin in the 50's and 60's. They hauled milk. Blue B 61"s with silver taners. May bee some H's.

Jim,i wondered about that myself (the truck next to the Brockway) I'm thinking it may be one of these IH Conco's? given it's an IH dealer? and the timeframe? just a guess on my part....................................Mark

post-5836-0-69280400-1432579762.jpg

Ken

Matlack went out of business by a combo of deregulation and poor management, and possibily a break up of the Rollins family. They were owned by the Rollins family from Delaware. The family also owned Rollins Leasing which was sold to Penske, and the Dover DE race track. The Majority of Matlack equipment and customers went to Superior Carriers. Dana also took one of Matlack's large southern lease operators and expanded their operation nationwide.

James:

In 1974 the CEO, CFO, and a couple of other Matlack top officers took their year end bonus and bought Quality Carriers of Bristol Wisc, and expanded it into chemicals and I believe it is still the same company which now has Tampa FL as an address on the doors.

Ken

Matlack went out of business by a combo of deregulation and poor management, and possibily a break up of the Rollins family. They were owned by the Rollins family from Delaware. The family also owned Rollins Leasing which was sold to Penske, and the Dover DE race track. The Majority of Matlack equipment and customers went to Superior Carriers. Dana also took one of Matlack's large southern lease operators and expanded their operation nationwide.

thanks for the correction and the "rest of the story".

Jim,i wondered about that myself (the truck next to the Brockway) I'm thinking it may be one of these IH Conco's? given it's an IH dealer? and the timeframe? just a guess on my part....................................Mark

The door handles don't look like anything I've seen on an International. Also the door window opening is curved at the bottom rear. That's why I ruled out Ford. I'm thinking it's somewhat rare model.

Jim,Mark,I'm thinking the red cabinover is a Marmon also. Door handles give it away. See what what you guys think.That Brock sure is a beauty, though! Al

post-510-0-29549900-1432605445.jpg

• Like 1

Jim,Mark,I'm thinking the red cabinover is a Marmon also. Door handles give it away. See what what you guys think.That Brock sure is a beauty, though! Al

I'd say that's it. I don't think very many trucks had those rounded window openings on an otherwise square cab.