Our new Rescue/Pumper under construction

1958 F.W.D.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 7/6/15 Work continues. Interior of the cab being fit-out. Pump controls and accessories being installed. Body wiring harnesses being installed. Should be moving into the paint shop by next week to paint the body, All photos courtesy of Ferrara Fire Apparatus, Inc.

post-1729-0-19765300-1436270292.jpg

post-1729-0-09190100-1436270306.jpg

post-1729-0-40818100-1436270314.jpg

post-1729-0-21511100-1436270320.jpg

post-1729-0-76375900-1436270329.jpg

post-1729-0-88916800-1436270343.jpg

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Coming along very nice. Did they Rhino line the interior too? Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Coming along very nice. Did they Rhino line the interior too? Paul

I believe the floor may be rhino liner. The walls and ceiling are diamondplate, stainless sheet or high impact plastic. The seats are all an extremely high strength ballistic nylon. No more vinyl. We learned that lesson with our 1989 pumper (that this truck is replacing.)

UPDATE 7/15/2015: Out of the paint shop!!!! Striping and decals being applied (gold leaf applied after delivery.) Interior fit-out of compartment shelves and brackets in progress. Final inspection tentatively scheduled for 7/22. Note the rhino-liner'd front bumper. HatCity note your chevrons on the rear.

post-1729-0-37102400-1437004127.jpg

post-1729-0-62199700-1437004137.jpg

post-1729-0-48760600-1437004146.jpg

post-1729-0-69681900-1437004157.jpg

post-1729-0-43563100-1437004165.jpg

• Like 2

Looks excellent! I do miss the "shiny" pump panel though. I'm from the era of Chrome, Brass and polished aluminum.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

UPDATE: Final everything is in the end stages. Our crew flies down Tuesday to do the final acceptance inspection on Weds. Due to work and family obligations I will not be able to go- this is the first new truck I have been involved with in a long time that I have not been one of the final inspectors of. Note the Cow Piss tank. Even though emergency vehicles received an exemption from pollution laws, the engine builders all refuse to accommodate- costs them more money to re-tool the production line for a fraction of the industry so unfortunately- we're stuck with cow piss. All photos courtesy of Ferrara Fire Apparatus.

post-1729-0-62183500-1437264407.jpg

post-1729-0-28122300-1437264416.jpg

post-1729-0-50978600-1437264426.jpg

post-1729-0-28804800-1437264436.jpg

post-1729-0-34259200-1437264453.jpg

post-1729-0-28684500-1437264461.jpg

On 7/19/2015 at 6:37 AM, Brocky said:

FWD: Why the big front bumper??? Big winch enclosed???

Bumper will have a car fire/trash/dumpster fire line on it (100 feet of inch and three quarter) Will have a 2.5" line plumbed all the way to the front bumper, with a gated wye on the end at the bumper- we could run two inch and three quarters or a single 2.5" line if we wanted to. I don't ever remember running a deuce and a half on the one we have now, but we figure, "we're paying for the plumbed line, go big or go home."

On 7/19/2015 at 8:11 AM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Bumper will have a car fire/trash/dumpster fire line on it (100 feet of inch and three quarter) Will have a 2.5" line plumbed all the way to the front bumper, with a gated wye on the end at the bumper- we could run two inch and three quarters or a single 2.5" line if we wanted to. I don't ever remember running a deuce and a half on the one we have now, but we figure, "we're paying for the plumbed line, go big or go home."

I'm confused...Bumper will have a car fire/trash/dumpster fire line on it (100 feet of inch and three quarter)..where is the hose stored? Speaking of car fires, I have suggested a 19,000 lb GVW F-550 might be a good addition to our local department given number of car fires/MV accidents they respond to..(We are on an interstate exit) Was told by locals.."nah-not enough to handle a car fire" Having learned in my career what you can do with a 20 lb. Ansul (B-C) and for sure understanding a B-C is not going to put out a tire fire, what do you guys think about the smaller, quicker less costly mini pumpers???

I'm confused...Bumper will have a car fire/trash/dumpster fire line on it (100 feet of inch and three quarter)..where is the hose stored? Speaking of car fires, I have suggested a 19,000 lb GVW F-550 might be a good addition to our local department given number of car fires/MV accidents they respond to..(We are on an interstate exit) Was told by locals.."nah-not enough to handle a car fire" Having learned in my career what you can do with a 20 lb. Ansul (B-C) and for sure understanding a B-C is not going to put out a tire fire, what do you guys think about the smaller, quicker less costly mini pumpers???

1. Hose will be accordian loaded onto the top of the bumper and held in place with straps.

2. In my opinion having used both full-size and mini-pumpers- they are a complete and total waste of time and money. The chassis are usually under-rated for the amount of hose and equipment that you usually wind up throwing onto a mini. I would rather spend my money on the full size pumper that is guaranteed to have the horsepower and torque to turn the pump, have all of the ladders, hose and equipment that I will need not only for that pesky car fire, but also the house or commercial building fires. And when operating on a limited-access/high speed highway, given the number of hits of emergency vehicles that occur, I want the luxury of a full-size pumper protecting me when I am operating in front of it.

• Like 1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/triborough/7868646304/

Link to our 2007 Spartan/Toyne which has the front bumper line as well. Hose is stored in a "trough" recessed into the bumper and secured with two seat belt-like straps. You can see the discharge on the right with the gated wye.

1. Hose will be accordian loaded onto the top of the bumper and held in place with straps.

2. In my opinion having used both full-size and mini-pumpers- they are a complete and total waste of time and money. The chassis are usually under-rated for the amount of hose and equipment that you usually wind up throwing onto a mini. I would rather spend my money on the full size pumper that is guaranteed to have the horsepower and torque to turn the pump, have all of the ladders, hose and equipment that I will need not only for that pesky car fire, but also the house or commercial building fires. And when operating on a limited-access/high speed highway, given the number of hits of emergency vehicles that occur, I want the luxury of a full-size pumper protecting me when I am operating in front of it.

thx for response

Looks great. Good luck with the DEF and associated software; nothing like going from flat out response speed to limp mode when the DEF software sends out an error code.

We used the front bumper trash lines and I would not be without one. It is so much safer to pull that line on a highway than a cross lay. Plus it is easier to re-rack so it tends to get used more in lieu of a booster line for car and dumpster fires. We used doughnut rolls with 100' hooked up and a spare 50' kept with it.

I agree mini-pumpers are not worth buying. The real expense of operating a FD is labor, even in a volunteer department, so if you are going to staff a response vehicle why not have a rig you can do everything with. As the saying goes "I'll buy mini-pumpers when they start making mini fires."

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 3 weeks later...

I think its pretty ironic that any one of us would kill to have this kind of documentation for our antique rigs when fifty years from now no collector will give a rat's ass about this rig or any other one that has a "20" in front of its model year.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What is the price difference between the two applications of gold leaf, and who did yours?

Thanks

Not sure of the price. It is real 13K gold, however it is not traditional gold leaf in that it was hand-cut and then hand-laid and burnished onto the paint, but rather it was machine-cut by computer design, and then applied onto a vinyl backing, burnished, background and shading coloring added, and then finished with a clear sheet vinyl overlay on top. The whole thing is then applied to the rig like any other conventional decal.

On the 1958 FWD, I have the two maltese crosses, plus the "Bryn Athyn Fire Company" on the hoods and the two unit numbers "1102" on each side. These are all the same as I described above however by a different manufacturer and done 10+ years ago. There was also a small composition charge to create the specific maltese crosses. If I remember correctly I have about $700.00 tied up in everything on the truck. And they still look as good as the day they were applied (by my father.)

post-1729-0-83206600-1441658741_thumb.jp

• Like 1