Aussie E-tech 470 (ea7) Being A Pig

ciw65

Our Quantum with an EA7-470 (think the A designates Australian spec) is being a pig yet again. Local dealer has washed their hands of it (can't blame them) and I have to tried to fix it. Has a complete lack of power, as it only does 95km/h (about 55 mph) flat out bobtail! The turbo barely makes a squeak and it's just so flat and unresponsive to drive it's ridiculous. To be honest it feels like the fuel lines and air filter are completely blocked(but they're not, done all those checks). Mechanically it's fine, had an in chassis rebuild in March and services and 2 top end checks and adjustments since then. Time to look at sensors, however not having a workshop manual or wiring diagram doesn't help. The co-pilot read out says it's at 100% engine load bobtail at about 1400 rpm and that matches where it stops pulling too, so I am pretty sure it is a bad sensor. But which one??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

Our Quantum with an EA7-470 (think the A designates Australian spec) is being a pig yet again. Local dealer has washed their hands of it (can't blame them) and I have to tried to fix it. Has a complete lack of power, as it only does 95km/h (about 55 mph) flat out bobtail! The turbo barely makes a squeak and it's just so flat and unresponsive to drive it's ridiculous. To be honest it feels like the fuel lines and air filter are completely blocked(but they're not, done all those checks). Mechanically it's fine, had an in chassis rebuild in March and services and 2 top end checks and adjustments since then. Time to look at sensors, however not having a workshop manual or wiring diagram doesn't help. The co-pilot read out says it's at 100% engine load bobtail at about 1400 rpm and that matches where it stops pulling too, so I am pretty sure it is a bad sensor. But which one??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :wacko:

Its obviously not bringing up a code? Our Qantum was goin like a dog and the local mack blokes put an intercooler in it, but every now and then it would flash up with an injector code. So obviously the intercooler didnt work. We later found the gear drive in the fuel pump was floating around and not giving it enough fuel. Something to check. Also maybe check the speed sensor on the back of the box.

Its obviously not bringing up a code? Our Qantum was goin like a dog and the local mack blokes put an intercooler in it, but every now and then it would flash up with an injector code. So obviously the intercooler didnt work. We later found the gear drive in the fuel pump was floating around and not giving it enough fuel. Something to check. Also maybe check the speed sensor on the back of the box.

Nail on the head Skip. This snotter came standard with an intercooler. I gave up in frustration today as only thing coming up was an intermittent inactive oil pressure sender electrical fault which I know about. I couldn't find diddly on the internet, so I rang Mack head office in Brisbane with a little story about truck being stuck in outback NSW on its way to Brisbane. They put me through to the workshop at dealership down the road and in 5 minutes on the phone to this bloke I got more info than in 5 months from Mack in Adelaide. Pulled the fuel pump and hey presto, the drive gear is spinning merrily on its own, completely disengaged from the brass centre. Think only by the grace of God this thing was running at all. New pump be here tonight. Talk about going backwards in technology. I remembr as an apprentice doing the fibre timing gears in Holden red motors! Thanks for your input though, appreciate your time. Be glad when this bucket is burnt to the ground.

• 12 years later...
1 hour ago, Mack Ccrs 470 said:

I have a Mack 2003 ccrs 470  quantum goes good bobtail but when I load up and not go very good boost about 29 sometimes you feel loose power and won’t boost past 12 and no whistle no power like limp mode any ideas where to look 

Does blow black smoke when this happens???

If it isnt blowing black smoke it would be telling me it is lacking fuel

Paul

3 hours ago, Mack Ccrs 470 said:

Great pics so where is that pump located on engine and it looks like a gear type pump and you just take cover plate off or do you have to take off pump complete?

This is on a 2004 Ami 370.i believe yours is different yet the principle is the same...Eup engines have a Cross drill passage from front to back of engine . remove plug in the front and test it with a pressure gauge.I believe it should be from 55 to 80 psi at idle.if lower than that replace pump...

Pump is on passenger side in front...there should be a hand priming pump attached to it.

RED