1963 C85 Pumper

ff6cav

Very nice. Good luck with it. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Call Waterous with your pump SN handy, they will send you a SN specific manual and parts sheets. You should still be able to get rebuild kits for all the valves, they are very easy to rebuild. I recommend using the newer stainless steel balls, more expensive but last longer.

If the tank to pump is an Akron (not uncommon) rebuild kits are easy to get for those as well.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Got the water pump off today to be rebuilt. It put up a fight, and the process was a lot more involved than I initially thought, but it's out and i didn't break anything! :loldude: I am somewhat mechanically inclined, although most of my experience is with green tractors, so every time I work on this truck I learn something new!

post-5929-0-59911300-1431560667_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Here's the latest updates- while waiting for more time to look into the clutch issue, I've been taking pieces off to repaint them and replace missing or broken hardware. The pieces of the dog box had multiple holes drilled in them to attach diamond plate at one point in the rig's life, so I removed the diamond plate and filled the holes to bring it back to more of its original appearance. I've also taken it to the CAFAA and PA Pump Primer's musters, and hope to get to the Old Fire Farts in York later this year.

post-5929-0-20038900-1440505748_thumb.jp

post-5929-0-23623500-1440505760_thumb.jp

post-5929-0-46808400-1440505774_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

A couple updates- removed the pump panel cover to get to the tank to pump valve, which was stuck. Removed the valve, and have it soaking to see if I can break it loose. Also removed the fuel pump and oil filter canister to fix the oil leak, and cleaned up and painted them while I have them off.

post-5929-0-29417300-1442005762_thumb.jp

post-5929-0-27229400-1442005778_thumb.jp

post-5929-0-82622400-1442005770_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Another little update- the fuel pump and oil filter are back on, after a lot of swearing and frustration(mostly at the fuel pump)! I also ended up breaking the arm of the tank to pump valve when trying to loosen it, so for now I think I will put it back on and keep it as-is, as I have no plans on filling the tank any time soon.

post-5929-0-68335800-1442360035_thumb.jp

post-5929-0-22566900-1442360049_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Looks like you are having fun. I'm wondering what 707 that is with the intake and exhaust manifolds on opposite sides of the head?

enjoy it!

Greg

I believe there was a 672 gas engine the ended production in 1962, the 707 came out in 1963. if so it could be an early production truck.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Took advantage of the beautiful weather today to go for a drive (and ice cream :whistling: ). Took the rig out on the Gettysburg battlefield for a few pics

attachicon.gif20151022_160041.jpeg

attachicon.gif20151022_155136.jpeg

Should have gotten a pic of it in front of the 72nd NYI (Second Fire Zouaves) Momunent!!!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Should have gotten a pic of it in front of the 72nd NYI (Second Fire Zouaves) Momunent!!!

We drove right by it to get to the PA Monument, but it's too far off the road to get a good pic with my phone- next spring we're going to go out and get some better pics with my wife's camera

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've been able to do any work on the rig (holidays and whatnot), but I'm hoping to get into it some more this winter. The first, and hopefully simplest, is getting the speedometer rebuilt, as it "bounces" 5-10 mph on either side of the actual speed while going down the road. I also want to remove the rear body panel (under the hosebed) to nip some surface rust in the bud before it develops any further- any thoughts/suggestions on removing that panel? I took a quick look at it and can't seem to find how to get it apart.