1963 C85 Pumper

ff6cav

Quick little update; I have most of the items off the cab, and am shooting for a late September timeframe for painting.  I've been looking online for mounting strips for the chrome trim pieces, as some of them are rotted beyond repair, but haven't had any luck so far.  

20190808_122423.thumb.jpg.cfdef32afa6676d4037d72e952375eaf.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Not a whole lot to update on this project, a few weeks ago I managed to get the headlight panel off, opting to cut the front intake adapter off after many non-destructive attempts.  What I've found to be interesting is that as I removed a lot of the trim pieces, I found only primer underneath, seeming to indicate that the trim was placed before the rig was painted.  My plans of getting the paint done before cold weather set in never came to pass, but I'm hoping to hit the ground running again in the spring.

IMG_20191101_160331_489.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2021 at 10:28 AM, General Ike said:

ff6cav.... I am sorry for your losses.  Lost my old man at 59 when I was at college in Gettysburg.

Were did you get hired?

Thank you, and that had to be tough for you being away from your family when it happened.  I'm now working for the Harrisburg Bureau of Fire, and before that was at Chambersburg for about 2 years; they both use the same academy at HACC, but of course with Covid going on that made things more interesting the second time through!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been making progress, one piece at a time.  I'll drop a link for my youtube playlist, now that I have a few updates posted.  My kids have informed me that they want to use the rig in our halloween display this year, so the push is on to get it somewhat together before then!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQW6cIJA9WhVGKXNaOiknlRZcjkuUQ5tn

• 4 weeks later...

Been making strides recently, now have the floorboards done(with a little help), cab and pump house painted, and am working on getting the new wiring installed.  For the floorboards I ended up painting them with a roller, and they turned out pretty good.  In some "spare time" I was able to make a pounce pattern for the door lettering based on measurements I took from the "shadow" of the original lettering in the paint.  Over the winter, I plan to try my hand at gold leafing the lettering; it seems pretty doable from some tutorials I've been watching.

20211003_183756.thumb.jpg.d543acfef27c4b9223e86c3b84ba9f6a.jpg

20211025_141626.thumb.jpg.04a9d47e5921770bac55c399f685376f.jpg

20211019_203709.thumb.jpg.4f26b09fb29b16b88b54d5a126777c9f.jpg

Edited by ff6cav
  • Like 2

Well unfortunately, despite my best efforts and intentions, I couldn't get the rig on the road in time for trick-or-treat tonight.  The wiring harness is in and working great, but I ran into a fuel delivery problem that took most of a day to troubleshoot and figure out.  I set out this morning ready to fire it up, but had the same result of cranking, but no fire.  Pulled the spark plugs on the right side and found them all to be fouled.  The right side plugs and wires are new within the last 5 years, so I had assumed that spark shouldn't be the reason for the non-starting. Put in 6 new plugs, still no dice, and decided to pull a plug to check for spark (with help from my lovely wife.... on her birthday, no less).  No spark on either side.  The rotors in the distributors spin, so my next point to consider is the coils, but I had to head to work before I could go any further.  At this point, I'm considering swapping in pertronix units over the fall/winter and having the rig home for a christmas decoration since it didn't work out for halloween.  

Just did the same check on a 1951. Check for power at the coils when you turn on the ignition. 

The if you have power at coils then check on the other side of the coil while cranking. If the test light goes on an off the points are working.

Next check the rotor and cap, sometimes the rotor gets rusty and wears down the cap.

Next Check for spark from coil to coil wire .

Then  check for spark at plugs.

If all else fails replace with the pertronix, however you also need to replace all of the wires with Carbon wires to keep the warranty on the pertronix. 

I just replaced the wires rotor cap and points with Pertonix, Added fuel to the carb and the 51 L85 started right up.

You can buy all of the parts from the Brillman company 

John Brillman owns an old autocar. www.brillman.com 540-477-4112.

Tell him the distributor number and engine and can ship you everything you need. 

Have fun looks like you are making good progress. 

Firemack

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Progress continues.... slowly.  Life seems to be getting in the way of making any meaningful progress lately, but I have been getting little odds and ends done as time permits.  I was troubleshooting some things today, and would appreciate some insight/opinions.  A few weeks ago, I installed some of the warning lights and tested them with the ignition on, and all was working well.  A few days ago, with no changes to the system, when I turned on the ignition there was barely any power- not even enough to run the electric fuel pumps.  I tested the electrical from the batteries up to the ignition switch, and have consistent voltage throughout the system, until I get to the output side of the ignition switch, where it drops to 0.2v.  Am I correct in thinking that the ignition switch went bad?