Big Al

85snowdog

I did read about an A-C powered Freightliner, possibly a demo, but a few of these also made it into Kenworths. There's a W900 that has been restored and is solid purple in color, IIRC. Some of the A-C equipped trucks came from the factory with purple as the primary color in their paint scheme.

Jim

There is a whole big story on them in the Nov/Dec 2010 issue of the ATHS Wheels of Time.. 844 CI just smaller than a Cummins. Turbocharged, intercooled.

Vlad they were in the Late 60's early 70's.. Would out run nything on the road BUT had serious realiability problems and never took off.

Brocky

Thanks everyone for the pics and info. I had never heard of a BIG AL . I knew you guys could enlighten me. Thanks

41 chevy , I absolutely love the A-car ,and the story. I'm with you though, the longer it sits , the less it will be worth to anyone.

Hopefully one day you can save it. A great piece of history there.

Keith

Keith 

I was working at freightliner when they were installed in freightliner and Kw that I know of.A few was sold around here in freightliners but many of them broke the crank.Many was repower with cummins.Freightliner could do support work on them but problem with was dealers did not want to gear up for training and the network that was required and the tractor equipment dealer could not get the trucks into their shop and probably did not have the training also.I remember a memo coming out for the early engine from freightliner factory stating not to be laying under the oil pan when you take the last bolt out holding it up.Some of the pans were made of cast iron.Some said that they would weigh about 400 lbs so that could mash your stuff if it fell.

• Like 1

glenn akers