Bob Eckstein's "Phantom 309",revisited!

gotta say I think I liked it more before they stretched the frame and put the bigger bunk on. also looks like it has tube type on the front in one picture with the white letters painted on the tires? the more I look the more cool features I see like the chrome lockin strip around the windshield rubber or the chrome Dayton rims on the back

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Yes,sadly it was cut up and scrapped. The guy who brought it to Macungie a few years back said he bought it for junk as it had belonged to a relative of Bob's (in Jersey,I believe). The 1693 had the head off of it and the hood open,when this guy bought it. Said there wasn't much good left of it. I told him I knew the guy that had the truck originally,Bob Eckstein. He said,"oh yeah,his name was on the horn button when I took an excavator and crushed what was left of the cab" :o He said he figured the hood & sleeper were the only things worth selling. The rest was scrapped. Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Al

Did you show these pics to Bob Hall(think thats his name?) from Northern IL Mack Grayslake?

He had some good stories about This truck running out to the east coast and back. I was in there a few months ago and he was telling me how he would spray the whole frame and aluminum parts down with diesel fuel when he was heading into a snow (salt) storm. Im assuming this was after the first cab was junk in short time and his 2nd cab was installed?

Prolly I good thing I wasn't at Macungie that year,or that would have come home with me! I have been wanting to build a replica of this truck almost since I first saw it years ago..............I made an offer on the blue one last year,but it was not enough in the sellers eyes..............................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Here's the one I'm speaking of. Somebody posted this pic on here before.

Thanks, Josh

Yes I went and looked at it a few years back.

It resides in northern IL with the 2nd owner. Looks like it was parked in the mid 80s and no one ever went back.

The truck has the original cat engine but the frame was stretched camelback rears were removed and air ride installed. They did not do a great job on the stretch. The interior was pretty good was only missing the rear wall interior. But it was a steel dash cab and not sure if it ever had a interior? Cab corners were rotted pretty bad but the truck was complete. Asking price was kinda high last I recall.

This is just a guess,but I looked over this truck top to bottom when I saw it and the headliner upholstery was cut/made to fit around the Kysor "Red-Dot" rooftop A/C control box,when the truck was re-cabbed the original upholstery was installed in the new cab,so it stands to reason that would be why the rooftop A/C was re-installed? Mind you this is just a guess on my part,but makes sense to me. May have been the Kysor worked better then the factory A/C too,we put the same unit in our R-Model and it would give you an ear-ache on "High".............................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.