!999 Mack Vision, How good is the E7 427

Sweat6116
Go to solution Solved by Underdog,

Hey ladies and gentlemen. I am the new owner of a Mack Vision, 1999, with a Mack E7 427 engine . It has 852,000 miles on it. It is mated to an Eaton automatic transmission. I would like to know if anyone can give me some info on this truck, in general and maybe specifically. I am interested in the mpg it could get, and if anyone is running similiar specs on their truck. I dont know much about this trans. It says automatic with overdrive. The shifter on on a swivel stick on the drivers seat. Much different than the Mdrive transmission panels that are on the dash of the newer models. The truck is loaded. The only info that i could get from the previous owners is that the oil was changed every 12000 miles, a clutch was put in , and a head gasket seal replaced, both in 2013. I am in love with this ride. Its priced at $22,000. Let me know what you guys think. Id appreciate any help or info.

post-20115-0-59463600-1426990612_thumb.jpost-20115-0-73046800-1426990622_thumb.j

• Like 2

Beautiful truck, love the color. Someone will have to chime in regarding the engine, but I do have some experience with the Eaton UltraShift if that's what you have. The one I drove was very difficult to use during slow maneuvers, especially backing. The clutches would engage at a higher rpm than one should be at when backing, so iw ould have to "power brake" to hold the speed down. You might do better than I did once you get the hang of it since this is your daily driver while I only drove one sporadically. Either way, best of luck with the new ride and welcome to the forum.

Jim

nice looking truck. i like my 2000 with 460 and 13 speed eaton manual. only automatic i have ever drove was a eaton 18 auto and was only for a short time. did not reall get along with it. maybe with more seat time in one a guy could learn to like it. my cx was in framed at 945k

Can't speak for the transmission,but that engine should treat you well. Nice looking truck too. Sounds a pinch steep for a '99 condo bunk,usually that really kills the resale on older ones, but for as clean as it looks and for the miles on it and if it's got history,not terribly out of line.

nice looking rig driver.

I have a 2001 with the 427. Very good motor. just about 750,000 and never opened the motor,

have a manual 10 spd. so can't comment on trans.

They turn well due to the set back axle.

By now, some of the bugs they had should be taken care of.

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

• Solution

Just remember the Eaton ultrashift (and the Mdrive/I-shift for that matter) are automated MANUAL gearboxes. 99 may even still have a clutch pedal. No big mystery here, should serve you as well as any other Road Ranger.

I put 1.3 million miles on my 2000 CX 427. The current owner has over 1.5 million on it now still has not been overhauled. IMHO E-tech 427 pre-emission one of Macks best engines.

A good friend of mine ran a 2000 Peterbilt with the Eaton UltraShift trouble free for many many years over 1 million miles

Gregg

• Like 1

Just remember the Eaton ultrashift (and the Mdrive/I-shift for that matter) are automated MANUAL gearboxes. 99 may even still have a clutch pedal. No big mystery here, should serve you as well as any other Road Ranger.

I put 1.3 million miles on my 2000 CX 427. The current owner has over 1.5 million on it now still has not been overhauled. IMHO E-tech 427 pre-emission one of Macks best engines.

A good friend of mine ran a 2000 Peterbilt with the Eaton UltraShift trouble free for many many years over 1 million miles

Gregg

I was referring to the 2-pedal version which is what was in the '05 I drove. It would have been nice to have a clutch when backing.

• Like 1

Jim

I was referring to the 2-pedal version which is what was in the '05 I drove. It would have been nice to have a clutch when backing.

I wasn't sure when Eaton did away with the clutch pedal. My buddy's 2000 peterbilt had 3 pedals. And the best part about driving a Peterbilt is you can get a suntan on both arms...

Thanks EZRider, MackDog, Underdog,Superdog, hatcity and Green dash. I'm feeling better about my purchase. The engine seems like it's in good shape. That trans i'm not sure about, especially without having a load behind it yet. But from the comments so far, I'm pretty sure its a solid investment. Ive seen others priced a little less- $12-16k. They came down to 22k for me with $3000 down.