ID my beige Cummins engine?

b615rich

The starter has a solenoid on it and I assume an integrated relay like most Delco's ..or am I wrong? When you say kicker solenoid something else or? I will try to trace the wires back. I m pretty sure the clunk comes from the solenoid on the motor but I ll check. Thought brushes may be hung up or a bad winding.

if the solenoid is cluncking take a test light and see if power is going thru to the motor . if it is the starter needs attention if not the contact washer "the flip washer" in the solenoid needs to be cleaned or flipped and the contacts cleaned. common problem, will cause a hit or miss start

• Like 1

Thanks Doug. I am pretty good with electrical, but wondering. When you say going thru ? Pretty sure the motor has the negative battery cables on one side and the relay completes the circuit from the pos side of the batteries. So where can you check or did you mean on the bench. Is there a way in the truck? Warm day today (40) so I'll be poking around out there. Thought about just changing the solenoid (relay is part of the solenoid right? ). I used to rebuild starters, alternators, etc., but mostly cars. Just a little rusty (aka getting old). Thanks again.

have someone turn the key to start, power should be on the little wire, that's the exciter wire. at the same time power should go thru the solenoid to the motor, check for power on the l shaped piece going from the lower lug to the motor. that will tell you if its the starter thats bad or the solenoid. if it's not going thru, you can take the back of the solenoid off by taking the 4 bolts off cover and clean the contacts and the flip washer. it will make sense when you see it

Yes. The switch hits the exciter terminal. Nothing is coming out to the starter. I took off all the cables, and two screws holding the cap on. It is definitely loose, but the plastic piece won't separate from the solenoid body. Again, it's pretty loose and moves around pretty good but won,t let go.. Any ideas? I hate to ask but checked on line and couldn't find anything on just the contact disc... If I was to remove the whole solenoid is it just the three screws to the motor housing or is there something holding it inside? I'd probably consider replacing the whole thing while its all apart, but would like to get her started ASAP. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, tried the three screws and although the starters not too rusty two of the screws were frozen tight. No room so I pulled the starter. Yes, it's heavy. So, first looks like the spacer between the starter and block is cracked (the ring or sleeve is separated from the three hole flange). A Cummins part I assume. To get the solenoid off I had to remove the nut holding it on the lever. It doesn't seem to pull apart (the plunger is held in the solenoid). Is there further disassembly to get to the contacts? I see a tiny snap ring on the shaft O&G the plunger. Or? Thanks again, first I have to get the OEM spacer so I've got a little time.