Four wheel drive UPS MH's

Yes Mark

I definately remember those. One of the nicknames was "suicide doubles".. PA did not allow doubles so this made them into a truck trailer which was legal. They basically ran between York PA and Akron OH.

As said above it was a long wheelbase single axle with a long slide on the 5th wheel and the lead pup had folding landing gear. The lead pup was dedicated to break bulk freight between the 2 terminals and the rear would be any long haul pup.

• Like 2

Brocky

Yes Mark

I definately remember those. One of the nicknames was "suicide doubles".. PA did not allow doubles so this made them into a truck trailer which was legal. They basically ran between York PA and Akron OH.

As said above it was a long wheelbase single axle with a long slide on the 5th wheel and the lead pup had folding landing gear. The lead pup was dedicated to break bulk freight between the 2 terminals and the rear would be any long haul pup.

I read they also used them on I-90 in PA. Doubles were legal in NY and OH but they had to use this setup for the 45 miles or so in between.

Jim

Green Dash

I believe on that 45 miles of PA on 90, CF just used a regular tractor with a big ballast block in place of the 5th wheel and a pintle hitch to drag the kite trailers back and forth.

Thanks. I thought it was the same setup but now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure the pics I'd seen were of short wheelbase tractors.

Jim

Sorry guys we have been on a 4800 mile road trip, Arizona New Mexico and Colorado and our lap top shit the bed, I do have some nice pics of the UPS MH 612-2927, and the MH 612-015, all wheel drive. I remember seeing one in 89 coming out of Jackson Hole going over South Pass to Riverton. I was out here on a ELK hunt. Wish we had them, I was running Syracuse and Worcester Mass out of Albany NY with double bottom 40s. If I can figure how to scan them off the PC I will get them on. Mark, UPS never ran twin screws on the NY Thruway till the 90s, we were way behind the times, I started in 74 with a brand new F model but I remember seeing CF with some 4X4. Talked to a guy on Face book said he knew were one was in Minnesota, I'll give him a call, Thanks Fred for taking care of Kelly, Rifleman

• Like 2