Alternative Fuel Question

Has anyone ever experimented with using waste vegetable oil or waste motor oil (or waste gear oil) as fuel (or added to diesel) in their trucks? I was told that years ago waste oil (filtered) was a good source of fuel (and it worked well with non-computer fuel injection). Also any one experimnet with adding acetone to your fuel?? Thanks, Rob

Has anyone ever experimented with using waste vegetable oil or waste motor oil (or waste gear oil) as fuel (or added to diesel) in their trucks? I was told that years ago waste oil (filtered) was a good source of fuel (and it worked well with non-computer fuel injection). Also any one experimnet with adding acetone to your fuel?? Thanks, Rob
I have added used oil to the fuel for a long time. Use good sense and filter it with a DD fuel pump thru a 750 luber finer filter first then the fuel filter on the engine will filter again. What ever you add to your filter dont use gear oil. I have had 2 used oil heaters and it will leve too much sulfer after burnt and the heaters have to be cleaned ever week were used oil maybe one time a year.

At one time cummins solded a kit for you to put on your engine were the oil would be added to the return fuel line to the tank and hot oil would be pumped into the fuel and mixed as the engine run untill pressure went down and then the engine would be shutdown by the system. Then in the 80s the epa stoped that. I add hydraulic oil to my dodge fuel tank and i fill like it is need in the new oil. I add 1 gal to 26 gtal of fuel and have since new. My 89 dodge has hyad atf added to it since new and sme pump on it now and it had 306000 miles on it and no pump failure but it needs replaced because it has a seal leaking when i parked it. I always cared a new fuel filter with me when using used motor oil.

glenn akers

I have added used oil to the fuel for a long time. Use good sense and filter it with a DD fuel pump thru a 750 luber finer filter first then the fuel filter on the engine will filter again. What ever you add to your filter dont use gear oil. I have had 2 used oil heaters and it will leve too much sulfer after burnt and the heaters have to be cleaned ever week were used oil maybe one time a year.

At one time cummins solded a kit for you to put on your engine were the oil would be added to the return fuel line to the tank and hot oil would be pumped into the fuel and mixed as the engine run untill pressure went down and then the engine would be shutdown by the system. Then in the 80s the epa stoped that. I add hydraulic oil to my dodge fuel tank and i fill like it is need in the new oil. I add 1 gal to 26 gtal of fuel and have since new. My 89 dodge has hyad atf added to it since new and sme pump on it now and it had 306000 miles on it and no pump failure but it needs replaced because it has a seal leaking when i parked it. I always cared a new fuel filter with me when using used motor oil.

Are using oil in a computer controlled Mack?? And can you explain A DD fuel pump and 750 luber filter...sorry I don't know what that is. ATF is ok to use too??

thanks

I add hydraulic oil to my dodge fuel tank and i fill like it is need in the new oil. I add 1 gal to 26 gtal of fuel and have since new. My 89 dodge has hyad atf added to it since new and sme pump on it now and it had 306000 miles on it and no pump failure but it needs replaced because it has a seal leaking when i parked it. I always cared a new fuel filter with me when using used motor oil.

Just confirming that you add ATF to the diesel and in what ratio?

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

I dont think used motor oil is a good idea. I read an article from the US Army and they exprimented with adding used motor oil to their diesel fuel to cut fuel costs and eliminate the need to dispose of used motor oil. They used a Cummins powered 5 ton and after the test period it was said to lead to a lot more buildup of gunk in fuel lines and valves. Maybe in very small amounts like a few quarts here or there just to get rid of the stuff might be fine. But I would avoid very high ratios.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 4 weeks later...

you can run b99 with no problems if you use some common sense I keep the ratio to about a b75 in the 427 to minimize hp loss as it gets colder its needs to be upped to a 50 50 mix once air temps get below 35 all my other engines cat, cummins also run fine on it no hp loss no gelling no filter issues