Project - drop deck trailer

Timmyb

Thanks Paul. At least there are no hidden problems.

As far as man hours, the guy had it all worked out on a bit of paper. Only he had the hours converted in to dollars. I'll double check him when I drop it off. He should have it completed in 2 weeks.

Always the case, I have a job for it in about 2weeks so he will take longer.

On mine I thought it would take about half as long as it has taken me. I have some brake parts I am picking up this morning that I have been waiting on since Monday so hopefully I can get the brakes taken care of today I am up to around 35 hours on my redo. I still have lights and paint and at least most of a day pulling the brakes and changing the hardware.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 2 months later...

I have went a different route with the trailer. My mates brother got made redundant so gave him the job of repairing the trailer. Its slow, but I get a more hands on role and im saving as lot too!

Installed some 20ft container beams while we had it apart, plus new brake boosters.

post-14557-0-39590800-1435970702_thumb.j

post-14557-0-46213100-1435970827_thumb.j

Yeah we cut down the beam and plated it with 1/4 inch plate to reinforce it.

Paul, I'm a lot happier doing it this way. Mind you with work, doing bits on my mack, missus and the little fella I find it hard to find time to work on it.

That's life I suppose. Keeps me from being bored!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thi Paul, well the plan is get all the sheets on, cut out the container pin holes and then my mate will tack it in place, while I'm about with a hammer.

Apparently when you weld it, the floor rises a bit. So when I see the cherry from where his tack weld is, I belt it with a hammer and flatten it out. So hopefully we can get all the sheets tacked in, then weld it the next day.

It's a lot different to driving! I'm enjoying it though. Probably wouldn't be the case if I did it day-in, day-out.

Tim.

lookin good u want to start on another one? I`ll air mail to you :)

I'm glad to say that I'm just the t/a (trades assistance) for this job. Plus the turn around time is a bit long...

Looking good wont be long now. What are you going to do about paint and did you go over budget?

Still a while away from paint. Gotta do the ramps and dummy fit the hydraulics. But it's going to eventually be red... As for budget, I reckon I'd be a touch under so far. But there is still time for a blow out;-)