Project - drop deck trailer

Timmyb

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah mate there is always some bright spark who wants to push the limits on how strong things really are hope it works out ok as Im sure it will

NSW to Perth should be good trip if your not in a hurry even better if you have one of your mates to yack to thru the day and at night on the side of the road even have some nice cool drinks maybe a fire :twothumbsup: you and your mate can solve all the worlds problems around a fire with some drinks and create a whole heap more

Paul

• Like 1

I'll get some good pics and details about the ramps and hydraulics when I get them sorted.

Paul, I like your thinking. To be honest, some of the best nights have been out in the truck, camped up with a fire and a few beers looking at the stars. Half of these city folks would know what a starry night looks like, too much man made light in the city.

Started pulling it apart today. Using a grinder (wish I had an oxy set) and a forklift, I'm sure most blokes would cringe looking at the way I did it but it's coming apart.

Gate pockets were rusted so they came off too.

So Tim are you gunna cut the whole section out or just use some steel beams and jacks to push it back it posistion ??? I have straighend some pretty bent things just using RSJ's jacks blocks of wood and chains the less you cut off the less it is going to cost to put back right and the quicker you get there

Looks like you have it well in hand though

Paul

J Hancock - Can of worms opened. No going back now!

Hi Paul, too be honest I'm not in my field of expertise. But I think your right, as much as I can fix/straighten the cheaper it will be. I'm going to try and pull the floor off the bottom deck and get some expert advice. I think I'll have to replace some runners, and I think some can be repaired.

• Like 1

Tim I wouldnt pull any more floor off

might even be able to cut one cross beam off at a time at the combing rail end only and just put a jack under it and a string across top and jack it up till straight and once there done cut the combing rail off and use a chain and jacks against the trailer chassis and slowly straighten it out just use your eye for it then weld it back on a few dabs with the paint brush and you will be good to go

Paul

• 1 month later...

Just a little update.

Have to bring all the bottom floor up. The square tubing was left open at the front to dirt and water, and was rusted through and squashed.

Also removed the checker plate from the beaver tail. That was hard work, as there was 4 crossmembers in the space of 600mm and floor was attached to each one.

Not much more until the body builder gets it.

Yeah Paul, I am buying a 12m length of 5 inch i beam, for the coaming rail. And 6 of the cross beams need replacing. Actually, the top of the chassis is 10mm wider than the bottom, due the the weight stretching the cross beams.

Plus the ramps and hydraulics. It's a decent size job, but a drop deck with ramps still attract a big price tag. Not that I'll be selling this one.

Yeah I have a local guy who is pretty good at this stuff. Trouble is, getting him to do it. He is always busy!

I noticed you were pulling yours apart. It's not a job you'd like to do everyday!

What are you going to do for ramps? Are they going to be hydraulic or spring?

I like the way you took it apart.

It will be not cheap to fix it up but you now exactly know how bad the things are and how well it will be done.

Not a one day job although I myself would be glad to catch such a trailer for reasonable.

Nice to spy Mack stuff in the background on the first pics.

Good luck on the project!

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad, you have a very keen eye! I'm guessing your talking about the e6 engine? I bought that cheap at an auction for the hell of it. Figure I'll get around to building it one day with a little help from my friends.

The trailer - It is a lot of work, but once finished it'll be almost new. A few boiler makers have told me the time consuming (and therefore costly) part is taking it apart.

• 3 weeks later...