12V71 in a RS700

Kingston is 20 minutes from me and i never knew this bad dog was so close, they may leak oil but nothing sounds as good as a 12 banger, especially if it is tuned right and has a nice exhaust system in place, i would love to have this unique piece of history!

A rod coming through the block sounds best!!!!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Maybe with extensive therapy, you wouldn't hold your emotions in and let the bad feelings fester.

I have a 6-71 DD and they are only half as loud as a 12-71.....

I did have therapy. The therapist told me to let my feelings out, let them be known. To voice my anger, hate and distrust of all things two-stroke Detroit. Then we hugged and went and raced his Superliner with the E9-4V and left a few 2-stokes and Kittens sitting on the line sniffing our exhaust and wondering "what the hell was that?"

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I did have therapy. The therapist told me to let my feelings out, let them be known. To voice my anger, hate and distrust of all things two-stroke Detroit. Then we hugged and went and raced his Superliner with the E9-4V and left a few 2-stokes and Kittens sitting on the line sniffing our exhaust and wondering "what the hell was that?"

I don't thin so kimosobi!

OK, seeing as we've broken through the Detroit curtain on the Mack site, allow me to post my favorite shifting

video. This guy's secret is not only in the shifting, but most importantly in the way he uses the throttle. NO
SUDDEN MOVEMENTS of the throttle results in a very smooth technique.

• Like 1

I think this video would be appropriate now. Otherdog posted it almost 2 years ago. A very cool sounding 6-71.

Sorry, not in a Mack, the audio is the important part though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klRq8D97S8c

This would be Jim Herriot. He has a cool KW with 1693 in it too. Met him through ATHS.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

P.L.Duncan Trucking, in Cumberland, Va. used to have an F model with a V12 in it. It was eventually wrecked and totaled in the crash. But they would go- A man from Buckingham had one in a cabover Peterbilt and had it leased to H.H.Moore Trucking. He pulled chips from Dillwyn to Covington with it, and i'd see his driver hook to a load of chips at the wood yard and take off down rt.15 and I remember thinking that I couldn't take off that fast bobtailing. I was driving an International with a VT903 at the time.

Johnny Harris had a V12 Fmodel too. He told me the story of when he stopped at the truckstop in Berkley Springs, W.V. one night and got to talking with a couple of "large car" drivers. They were all going to the same area and decided to run across the turnpike together. When they went outside to leave one of the other drivers asked Johnny what he was driving. He pointed at the F model, with a load of green lumber behind it. So they asked him if he minded if they pulled out first so he wouldn't hold them up, because they were in a hurry.He said "not at all, go ahead". You had about 6 or 8 miles of 2 lane to run before you got to I-70. The other guys pulled out, Johnny followed them up rt.522 to 70, and the first big hill you get to he pulled into the left lane and smoked them both. He said by the time he got to the top of Town Hill Mountain he couldn't even hear them on the radio.

And "Hard Rock" told me one time that they had several trucks hauling chips from Rupert,W.V. to Covington, from the yard Burns hauls from. He said it got so cold up there one night that every single truck except one froze up and cut off during the night, even with them idled up. The only one that kept running had a 318 Detroit in it.

On the other hand, the old saying "it'll pass anything but a fuel stop" was pretty much true about those V12 Detroits.

That's all the Detroit Diesel stories for today,........ unless I think of another one.

Those F models were bought new by Holland Lumber Co. from Millers Tavern, VA and Dick Holland claimed they would top Afton Mountain with 90,000 on at 45 to 50 mph. I think there were 3 or 4 of them and when they were sold off Dick lost track of them. He and P.L. were good friends which is I guess how he ended up with one.