New to me '74 R795ST

A twin stick and a V-8 in an R model,..I wouldn't worry about the grass being greener anywhere else! Awesome set-up. As for the air steering - keeping your thumb out of the wheel is no joke. Rolling off a rock or a curb, or onto one, and you'd never believe that wheel can spin so fast! Thirty years ago and my thumb still doesn't bend all the way. It is fine most of the time, but if you do a lot of backing with slow steering and braking you may need to hold the maxi off. Look forward to the pictures.

• Like 2

All, thank you for your patience and awesome advice and guidance. Been a wild last few weeks. We have had two big snows and in between them my wife's grandfather passed. Been helping the fam out as much as possible. I'm a full time national guardsman, so we got called out for snow removal. I'm an engineer, so that meant lots of time in a grader seat, and not much time at the hacienda.

I have pics on my iPhone, but have no idea how to load them on here from it... I guess I need to get them on the computer so I can try that way.

Again, thank y'all for all I'm learning from you gurus. I'm new to the Mack world, but loving it so far. Looking foreward to learning a lot more from y'all! Thanks in advance...

- Evan

• Like 1

note of caution-DO NOT place thumb inside of steering wheel

good luck with it

I'm curious as to what circumstances specifically lead to what I assume is the wheel snapping around and trying to tear your thumbs off. Can someone fill me in before I become a victim?

Thanks

The R400 I ran had air assist steering. The air is not-NOT-steady.

as you turn the wheel, it gives a push at a certain point. Like stated, if you hit a small rock, and the wheel begins to turn, BAM the air gives a push.

that steering wheel will spin about 2800rpm.

and of course your thumb is inside the wheel and the spoke comes around and WHACK

most times, it happens when it wants to bend your thumb away from the hand

if you have one, try turning the wheel without moving. You will hear a pssh---pssh

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Oh ok. That makes sense. I've got hydralic power steering on the 815, but I've seen driving instructors warn about hooking thumbs in the wheel for rally cars and such. It's just good practice. Nothing worse than a tore up thumb.

Thank you for the answer.

Greg

The R400 I ran had air assist steering. The air is not-NOT-steady.

as you turn the wheel, it gives a push at a certain point. Like stated, if you hit a small rock, and the wheel begins to turn, BAM the air gives a push.

that steering wheel will spin about 2800rpm.

and of course your thumb is inside the wheel and the spoke comes around and WHACK

most times, it happens when it wants to bend your thumb away from the hand

if you have one, try turning the wheel without moving. You will hear a pssh---pssh

Going to road test mine maybe this weekend. Going to find out what all this is about. I did put a flipper valve to shut it off going down the road. Hope that helps.

Yes, the torque valve senses the input in the draglink(either from the steering wheel Or the tires) and uses air to push the tie rod in said direction. Either for good or bad. I never though much about the tires giving input, but now that you mention it, it is entirely plausible. So being able to turn it off going down the road is even better.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thank you Superdog. Im definately proud to have it. It is really sound mechanicaly. ive got it in the shop, and going through it as time allows. i put all new cab lights on it, fixed the pigrail, and just finding all the little things that need attention. The engine has a small leak after its parked and shut off. it only drips a few drops though. I can live with that. Theres a few spots on the top of the cab, by the lip that is bubbled, but that wont be bad. Im having alot of fun tinkering with it. It will make life easier this spring, hauling hay, and all that. What does the switch on the far left side on top of dash do? its a two way toggle.

Yup. It turns down the front air pressure so to not slide the front tires on a wet road. Back in the earlier days, tandem drive trucks did not have front brakes. You had to have two axles with brakes, so they eliminated the front axle since it just slides with minimal weight on it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"