It doesn't have to be applied in a base coat then clear coat manner. From what I understand the hardener, color and everything is all in one. There is no clear coat to peal it just dulls with age. I am told this is a common way of painting now days and traditionally is cheaper. It does get applied in multiple layers in order to produce the desired results.(2 or 3 I think)

I don't feel Bigdogtrucker that I was INSANE to pay that, the prices I got at body shops that do trucks and that included Coastal in NH that was in line with others and I was really insane then to spend $20,000 on the B-model, You get what you pay for. R686st that price you got I would grab for all that work and they have a good reputation I would do it, also both our trucks where painted in single stage PPG Mack Red

post-13513-0-82960000-1427139495_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input on paint. Today after tearing the hubs off all of the axles I've found that both drive axles are leaking due to wear. It seems that the U-bolts weren't kept tight and the suspension has shifted. I will be replacing the housings before paint and body now. Does anyone have a source to find both drive axle housings?

I'm sure some Loctite wouldn't hurt any either when replacing them. It seems they changed an airbag, spring and a pair of U-bolts at some point. I don't know why if they did all that they didn't notice anything loose....

• 3 weeks later...

I was quoted 1,500 for used housings from Manders and 4,500 for new. I'm just trying to make some money to pull the trigger on some parts.

Not sure where your located might have a set of housings if your interested pm me

• 3 weeks later...

I am still collecting parts like bearings, races and brakes. The carriers are getting rebuilt this week and the hunt for banjo housings at a reasonable price continues. It's shaping up to be an expensive rebuild but it'll be one of the three still on the road in my area. One is white and hauls logs and the other one is ruff looking and pulls a lowboy occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

Got 3 new airbags installed today and all of the rear suspension removed as well as the two fuel tanks. I have two new fuel tanks and banjo housings bought and they should be here this week. I have the front axle reassembled with new drums, shoes, bearings, race, wheel seals, tires, rims and oil bathed axle caps. I have new suspension parts like bushings and tracking rods to install. I also have new brake shoes, drums,s-cams, brake canisters and slack adjusters to install once the housings are here. The rebuilt carriers are back as well and they are 4.17's. I should make some quick progress in the near future and post some photos soon.

• Like 1

Wow! I just read the whole thread. You are going all out. I got a vote of $8000 to paint an Autocar cab and doors inside and out. It is already off the truck and stripped. It did not get done. I think you got a too price. I have wheel and tire envy. Mike.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...