I alway's thought the FR was the set back axle model

Hi Werkhorse, The FR model was fitted with an F model type cab, either Day-cab or Sleeper Cab in either Steel or Fibreglass, that was a designated Right hand drive, mounted on the standard Australian R Model Chassis. All the plumbing on the FR was the same as an R Model with extension hoses and wiring etc. to fit to the F cab. The FR cab did not have the cross-over steering arrangement that the older F Models had. The F Models had a wider chassis than the FR Models so they had different (wider)rear engine mounts. The set back front axle was only introduced near the end of the production of FR Models, just before the Cruiseliner was released. Best regards-Michael.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Werkhorse, The FR model was fitted with an F model type cab, either Day-cab or Sleeper Cab in either Steel or Fibreglass, that was a designated Right hand drive, mounted on the standard Australian R Model Chassis. All the plumbing on the FR was the same as an R Model with extension hoses and wiring etc. to fit to the F cab. The FR cab did not have the cross-over steering arrangement that the older F Models had. The F Models had a wider chassis than the FR Models so they had different (wider)rear engine mounts. The set back front axle was only introduced near the end of the production of FR Models, just before the Cruiseliner was released. Best regards-Michael.

Thats pretty well spot on mate, although we have a '71 F785 and it has full power steering with the steering box mounted behind the front wheel. I havent seen another like it, but it is a genuine setup. I dont think the F models with a setback front axle were an FM, but Ive certainly been wrong before. It was a bit of a trend at the time for different weight laws I believe, Leader did the same thing. There werent too many out here.

The air ride cab I dont think ever came out here, Our FR786 coolpower has a set of shockies inside 2 coil springs with a sway bar. Someone has also put an extra set of shocks right at the back of the cab so it gives a pretty good ride. Ive seen a couple of European F model cabs and they have an extra deep toolbox on the drivers side(RHS). It is nearly as big as the one on the LHS.

And another interesting part of the plastic cabs, the air intake for the engine used to go through the roof of the cab via a scoop at the front and down to an aircleaner barrel on the RHS under the back of the cab. It wasnt a very successful idea as it was fairly noisy and it restricted air flow, particularly on the V8s. Most of them were changed to an air ram up with the smoke stack. The early cabs had fibreglass doors and panels but the later ones went back to a steel door. They were interchangeable.

Good to know though, an F model with a coolpower is still a bastard to get the radiator out of!! Some things never change. Skip

Thats pretty well spot on mate, although we have a '71 F785 and it has full power steering with the steering box mounted behind the front wheel. I havent seen another like it, but it is a genuine setup. I dont think the F models with a setback front axle were an FM, but Ive certainly been wrong before. It was a bit of a trend at the time for different weight laws I believe, Leader did the same thing. There werent too many out here.

The air ride cab I dont think ever came out here, Our FR786 coolpower has a set of shockies inside 2 coil springs with a sway bar. Someone has also put an extra set of shocks right at the back of the cab so it gives a pretty good ride. Ive seen a couple of European F model cabs and they have an extra deep toolbox on the drivers side(RHS). It is nearly as big as the one on the LHS.

And another interesting part of the plastic cabs, the air intake for the engine used to go through the roof of the cab via a scoop at the front and down to an aircleaner barrel on the RHS under the back of the cab. It wasnt a very successful idea as it was fairly noisy and it restricted air flow, particularly on the V8s. Most of them were changed to an air ram up with the smoke stack. The early cabs had fibreglass doors and panels but the later ones went back to a steel door. They were interchangeable.

Good to know though, an F model with a coolpower is still a bastard to get the radiator out of!! Some things never change. Skip

hi all a few extra details , the F 700R with steer box behind the wheel was the 2nd rhd conversion. A 71 F700R would have been alate one, i think they went to FR700R in 1972. i.e. F model, R chassis, 700 series and R for RHD. The set back axle F in Australia was an FRM700R. This is what ive understood to a have developed with the F series in Australia. regards jeffro.

found this neat looking picture while browsing Hank's truck pictures the other day. Smith's Transfer out of Staunton,Va. had many of these day cab F-models, along with Overnite, UPS, and many more carriers but nowadays it looks really odd!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

found this neat looking picture while browsing Hank's truck pictures the other day. Smith's Transfer out of Staunton,Va. had many of these day cab F-models, along with Overnite, UPS, and many more carriers but nowadays it looks really odd!

It sure does look odd seeing a cab that small. Kind of cool looking, but definitely different.

It sure does look odd seeing a cab that small. Kind of cool looking, but definitely different.

There is a guy a few miles south of here that has a GMC Astro 1/2 daycab. This thing looks like a morphadite but is neat being so different. It has a mounted Bucyrus-Erie crane mounted on the back. The "stick" rests to the right of the 1/2 cab in the transport position.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There is a guy a few miles south of here that has a GMC Astro 1/2 daycab. This thing looks like a morphadite but is neat being so different. It has a mounted Bucyrus-Erie crane mounted on the back. The "stick" rests to the right of the 1/2 cab in the transport position.

Rob

Get a picture of it if you ever get a chance. Sounds interesting.

Rob

yeah,we love pictures-and audio if it's got a screamin' jimmy in it!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

That's definitely a truck you have to go OUTSIDE to change your mind.... :P

Cool ol piece, but I bet a bear to spend all day in!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

if the FR is the same chassis as an R then how come the one i have in a million bits has a deeper chassis than an R by about 3 inches?

Grant

hi Grant, there are different depth frames, single rail frames in a 700 series truck is about 10.5 in, double rail is about 9. I dont have frame sizes at hand, but im sure they could have been deeper for severe service. I think there was an 11 in frame. This goes for F and R. Your F could be an FR700RSX, or could have been axtremely long WB. It could also be 2in deeper and not 3in. jeffro.

hi Grant, there are different depth frames, single rail frames in a 700 series truck is about 10.5 in, double rail is about 9. I dont have frame sizes at hand, but im sure they could have been deeper for severe service. I think there was an 11 in frame. This goes for F and R. Your F could be an FR700RSX, or could have been axtremely long WB. It could also be 2in deeper and not 3in. jeffro.

hello, this one is a doble frame and between 2 and 3 inches deeper, yes its a fairly long wheel base, long enuf to have 2 fuel tanks down the side. it had an 866 in it with a 12 speed and 5.13 diffs with an fa532 front axle.

regards Grant

hello, this one is a doble frame and between 2 and 3 inches deeper, yes its a fairly long wheel base, long enuf to have 2 fuel tanks down the side. it had an 866 in it with a 12 speed and 5.13 diffs with an fa532 front axle.

regards Grant

Hi Grant, I'm pretty sure Mack doubled up single rails, like you could have 10.5 in rails doubled up to be double rail. You wouldnt get 9 in rails in a single rail unless it was say an R400, a B40 series or a weight reduced B61 or R600 for say tanker work. 9 in rails in a 600 or 700 series truck would usually be doubled, whereas 10.5's could be single or doubled. That Mack you've got if it is factory 866 is an FR797RS. This engine was'nt available in Aust till Sept 1972, towards the end of 1971 the F model went to the R model chassis, the chassis no should be just in front of drive axle on the drivers side. regards jeffro

Hi Grant, I'm pretty sure Mack doubled up single rails, like you could have 10.5 in rails doubled up to be double rail. You wouldnt get 9 in rails in a single rail unless it was say an R400 or a B40 series. 9 in rails in a 600 or 700 series truck would be doubled, whereas 10.5's could be single or doubled.That Mack you've got if it is factory 866 is an FR797RS. This engine was'nt available in Aust till Sept 1972, towards the end of 1971 the F model went to the R model chassis, the chassis no should be just in front of drive axle on the drivers side. regards jeffro

Hello, i see, will take a look.

regards Grant

Hello, i see, will take a look.

regards Grant

Hi Grant, the F v R chassis is more to do with the tapered section and the castings for spring mountings. An F model chassis is not identical LHS v RHS, on the LHS the front, front spring mount is nothing like the RHS front, front spring mount, the LHS front mount also supports the LHD steering box and is about 20 in long, the RHS spring bracket is only about 11 in long, also the way the chassis splays out at the front is the LHS rail is basically a straight rail and the RHS rail splays out like an R. This is why the 2nd RHD conversion had the steering box behind the front RH wheel. However the rear front spring mounts each side appear to be the same, and are'nt the same as an R model. The F model was not really designed to be RHD. So when converting F's to RHD it was a compromise. Using the R chassis meant it was easier to convert to RHD. regards jeffro.

Hi Grant, the F v R chassis is more to do with the tapered section and the castings for spring mountings. An F model chassis is not identical LHS v RHS, on the LHS the front, front spring mount is nothing like the RHS front spring mount,this bracket also supports the LHD steering box and is about 20 in long, the RHS spring bracket is only about 11 in long, also the way the chassis splays out at the front is not equidistant LHS v RHS, however the rear front spring mounts each side appear to be the same, and are'nt the same as an R model. The F model was not really designed to be RHD. So when converting F's to RHD it was an unsatifactory comprimise. Using the R chassis meant it was easier to convert to RHD. regards jeffro.

Hi Jeffro, interesting. the front mounts for suspension are the same but opposite on this one and the chassis has hole in lhs for steering box. i am using all the F front suspension and the FA532 axle in the R i am putting together. have also got a set of 10 stud budd hubs for it. and new king pin kit.

regards Grant

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Jeffro, interesting. the front mounts for suspension are the same but opposite on this one and the chassis has hole in lhs for steering box. i am using all the F front suspension and the FA532 axle in the R i am putting together. have also got a set of 10 stud budd hubs for it. and new king pin kit.

regards Grant

hi grant, yes well the F chassis doesnt have a hole for the steer box. the R does. what are you doin with the 375? jeffro.

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of an F model I found in Arkansas, I'm not sure what year it is,

its a FS700L it has a Mack 6 I think its a 300 and a 5speed trans. has something other than a Mack drive axle.

It is for sale, the guy told me it hasn't been run for about 8 years, and it is kind of rough. He said it ran good but had some electrical problems when he parked it. He wants $700-800 for it. He thinks he would get that much out of it from the local scrap yard. It only has a single drive axle.

Here is a picture of an F model I found in Arkansas, I'm not sure what year it is,

its a FS700L it has a Mack 6 I think its a 300 and a 5speed trans. has something other than a Mack drive axle.

It is for sale, the guy told me it hasn't been run for about 8 years, and it is kind of rough. He said it ran good but had some electrical problems when he parked it. He wants $700-800 for it. He thinks he would get that much out of it from the local scrap yard. It only has a single drive axle.

I tried to up load a photo but I must have done something wrong, sorry guys maybe when I figure it out I'll be able to get on here, if you look where I joined there are a couple of pic's of it there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...