General lovers and JTFormula

85snowdog

They could be either depending on if it was built for a twin engine boat.

Exactly correct, the cam and a few gears for the DD accessory drives are different, the balance of the internals are the same. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Silver 92's came out in 81,82; TA means turbo & aftercooled it's got a cooler under the blower; it will have a water pipe coming out in front of blower going to left side lower thermostat housing; easiest way to tell drop oil pan; if main bearing requires a 15/16 12 point to get down its a silver engine; or get serial number off the block; right side; could be in the back by airbox covers or up front more toward top of block; I have seen some green ones painted silver!!

Thanks 1965, for the info. I was told that a silver 92 was electronic. I had no idea that they were around earlier.

My buddy has what is remaining of the engine. It seems like a lot of parts are missing, and the rest of it has sat out in the weather for the last 16 years. So you can imagine what it looks like ( a pile of rusted crap) . I am going to look at the bolts on the main bearings though. It would be cool if it was a silver.

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

I looked last night on govliquidation.com and there is a rebuilt 8V-92TA (0hrs.) in a nice enclosed crate up for auction. It is in Ft. Riley,Kansas.Goes up for auction in a few days. FYI Al

Thanks for the info on the auction Al. I sent the link to my buddy. Told him he needed to buy it. That would be very cool addition to the general.

Thanks

Keith

Sorry I am late to the General party. That looks like a pretty good rig your buddy found. I like the sleeper, I wish I had a 48"-60" on mine. The bodies are aluminum so they take the weather pretty decent. No worry about the rust worm. Silvers came out in the early 80's. Mine is an 84 with a Silver 8v92 in it. Fleet Truck Parts (Google it) has bumpers under $400 if you don't go nuts with style options or just click this: www.fleettruckparts.com/Truck-Bumpers/GMC-General-Bumpers.

Go all out and stuff an 12v92 in there. That will wake up the neighbors.

Thanks for the link and the info JT. I have been trying to convince him to go with a 12V also. There was one in a snowblower up here that I told him to buy and put in it.

Thanks

Keith

Keith 

Well I like them; worked for DD dealer in the middle 80's through the 90's; worked on all of them; so if I can help be more than happy too; know more bout them than a Mack; I did find my 92 service manual so if you need I'll send it too you;

• Like 2

Snowdog- I said the same thing when I bought mine. Guys here are solid people. Give you a hand and advice no matter what you are building. They have helped me numerous times when I had questions about my General. Good luck and keep us updated.

• Like 1

Thanks 1965 for the offer of the manual. Very good of you !!!!

For now, I don't think it will be needed. My buddy still isn't sure what he is doing.

If it turns out it would come in handy, I will PM you for a price, and how to get you some $$$

Keith

Keith 

• 2 weeks later...

A possible parts source 1983 Gmc General. It has an 8v71

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-1983-GMC-GENERAL-8V71-DETROIT-ENGINE-TURBO-ENG-ONLY-0MB23-105K-/351072459378?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bd8c9a72

Sorry didn't notice the engine was a 71 not a 82 , corrected it .

post-19181-0-46430300-1421760151_thumb.j

Edited by 68-f-model
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

you wanna wake the neighbours....

post-14397-0-55709400-1423407514.jpg

a scrap yard in cambridge i used to haul into has 3 of them.......

its a diesel and a two stroke, and maybe they leak oil, close enough lol

might need a REALLY big shoehorn to make the hood close tho

• Like 2

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....