Another B81 build

As long as the rear u bolts are tight, the loose center bolt should not bother a thing, they only hold the pack together till the u bolts are torqued.

dunno about that I have only broken a center bolt twice and it pretty much becomes uncontrollable straight away like Im driving a yacht down the road I end real busy real quick on the steering wheel if it was mine I would fix it while its apart

when I have broken a center bolt I have to pull up straight away and wrap some fencing wire or chain around the axle to the spring hanger just so it drives half reasonable

Paul

On the center bolt if you don't have the right tools i.e. torque multiplyer. large impact. ect.. wait til you are getting ready for paint and take it to a spring shop have them do both sides and in a few hours and a couple hundred it will be just like new.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

On the center bolt if you don't have the right tools i.e. torque multiplyer. large impact. ect.. wait til you are getting ready for paint and take it to a spring shop have them do both sides and in a few hours and a couple hundred it will be just like new.

I do for the most part have the tools or access to them it's just the condition of the other bolt that scares me.

dunno about that I have only broken a center bolt twice and it pretty much becomes uncontrollable straight away like Im driving a yacht down the road I end real busy real quick on the steering wheel if it was mine I would fix it while its apart

when I have broken a center bolt I have to pull up straight away and wrap some fencing wire or chain around the axle to the spring hanger just so it drives half reasonable

Paul

[ /quote] My thought on this is 1200#+ torque on four U bolt nuts are going to supercede a 3/8 thick center bolt.

The tranny box brake down seems repairable. Welding, soldering, brass soldering or just epoxy but well pre-cleaned and degreased.

The generator mounting area doesn't look nice. Maybe to drill through and put studs instead of bolts?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

The tranny box brake down seems repairable. Welding, soldering, brass soldering or just epoxy but well pre-cleaned and degreased.

The generator mounting area doesn't look nice. Maybe to drill through and put studs instead of bolts?

that's what a friend of mine suggested about the generator mount holes , try to salvage what I can of the threads and soder studs in. If I come across a better engine for a good price will will get rid of this old 711.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As long as the rear u bolts are tight, the loose center bolt should not bother a thing, they only hold the pack together till the u bolts are torqued.

I do agree with him on this. The center bolt was to hold everything together.. And to align the spring stack for assembly....

yup, agree looks like a water push out. good welding shop can weld that right up with cast iron rod. I have seen a few Mack trans broke in this same spot actually. mine has about 15 pounds of brass on it. I ended up changing out the front case with a spare. glad to see you moving along on this gem and decided not to sell it.

I agree!!!

Best way to repair cast iron is to weld it with cast iron. (Best way)

Stich and pin using lock and stich. (2nd best)

A good v out and braze job. (3rd best)

Nickel welding rods work but there's a 50/50 chance it will crack again then there really no way of fixing it after that it ruins the metal.

And using a mig welder is a JOKE....

My dad and I are going to drill and stich it for Rudy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well I haven't made too much progress on my truck but I'm back on the project. I got the drive shaft out and the trans out last night. I was working on the front axle back in the winter and discovered I need king pins and a deal fell through for a set of 22 in hubs.

I am also trying to figure out what to do with the rear breaks, I would like to put modern cans on the truck and the smallest one's I can find are 24/24 chambers but there a little to big in diameter.

post-11429-0-02849900-1432046365_thumb.j

post-11429-0-40443800-1432046395_thumb.j

post-11429-0-32956200-1432046430_thumb.j

post-11429-0-63901200-1432046714_thumb.j

post-11429-0-20008800-1432046736_thumb.j

I have the same question on rear brakes but I assume if I go to the Mack dealer they can help me out. The ones on mine now are cobbled up DOT magnets...Welded yokes to the can rod...They need an offset slack adjuster or some such thing. If you figure it out let me know and I'll be sure to do the same...good luck

I also own a b81 that I'm trying to install newer brake chambers on. Looking for a better solution to replace the old service cans

here is what I found today. Maxi chambers I have to find out the diameter yet though. I'm guessing these will give enough brake power and then a parking brake as well.

post-11429-0-82023900-1432082308_thumb.p

post-11429-0-73093600-1432082330_thumb.p

• Like 1