gold dog

I've got a chrome dog that came from a 91 RB sittin' right here on my desk, it's symmetrical & still has the 87931 on it.

I had a 96 CL with all Mack drivetrain that had the gold dog on it, that truck also had the Elite package.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I've got a chrome dog that came from a 91 RB sittin' right here on my desk, it's symmetrical & still has the 87931 on it.

I had a 96 CL with all Mack drivetrain that had the gold dog on it, that truck also had the Elite package.

Yeah,I was thinking more on the 2000 yr range for the patent # being replaced by that 7 digit registration #. . Dad's last Cruiseliner was a '80 and it still had a gold Bulldog with ears and a tail,too,I think I've got an '81 R model out here,I'll check it out later and see if it has bobbed ears.

• 5 weeks later...

A search on the patent number indicates that Mack had a filing date of 9/6/1985. The US Patent Office issued the registration #1,387,477 on 3/25/1986.

Couldn't find any info on the date when the new number started going on the trucks.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

• 2 years later...
On 1/8/2015 at 1:33 PM, 39 Baby Mack said:

On a further note,

All the older dogs are supposed to be duplicates of the soap carving made by Alfred Fellows Masury in 1932.

If you look closely at these dogs you will notice that they are not symmetrical.

This leads one to believe that the soap carving story is true which I believe it is.

If you look straight into his face you will notice that his R.H. eye is higher than his left, turn him around, look at his back hips

his right one is cut down lower than his left.

Look at him from both sides, notice the flat spots in the middle of the legs on both sides, wide on the right, narrow on the left.

His mid section narrow in front wide in the back on the left, just the opposite on the right.

Needless to say he's crooked as a copy of the carving would be.

As Don stated above they changed the ears and tail in 1979.

I like the way he put it, to make it more friendly.

The rest of the dog stayed the same, crooked as it should be.

Sometime later I was surprised and disgusted to find out that they changed it altogether and that he was no longer crooked but was indeed symmetrical.

I don't know exactly when they did this but I first noticed it in the early 90's.

Go look at a new one, he is indeed symmetrical.

I have no idea why in the world they would do this, but the thought of some young buck noticing it was crooked and thought that it was

terrible that their corporate symbol was like that comes to mind!

I think before changing it they should've found out why he was the way he was and left well enough alone.

It's funny, but at about the same time I found this out the Mack Co. was running an ad in the truck magazines about the "Bulldog"

Wish I had one to show, but I don't, maybe someone else on here can find one.

The ad had a Bulldog hood ornament superimposed over the Declaration of Independence and the tag line went something like this

Yeah it's just a hood ornament like the Declaration of Independence is just a piece of paper!

After seeing that I thought to myself well you guys have made it just a hood ornament!

They had taken all the history out of the "Bulldog"

I'm sure Mr. Masury would not be pleased!

Ron

Amazing... just picked up a crooked gold dog.. now I know its legit!

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...