Looking at buying my first mack.(I bought it!)

Nice truck & good deal,in my book too! She looks straight & solid from here. These trucks now(in their "hobby" state) are having the easiest days of their lives! Little or no loads to pull,no schedules to keep,& somebody that is not going to beat the HELL out of them to boot! Like Maddog said,you'll be fine with the quad as long as you keep the speed shifting to a minimum! There are several 237/quadbox set-ups around our area,that guys have ran for years. One even pulled a 225 Cat excavator around with a single disc clutch in it! Oh yeah,and last but not least.... :WELCOME: Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I must admit that I'm a little jealous of Wobblin-Goblin. I would love to have a shop like that to work in.

I have been slowly working on it when the weather allows. Both fenders, hood and radiator surround are removed. Hopefully this weekend I will lift the radiator out and get the timing cover off. When the weather is too cold(I'm a hot weather person) I have been working on the drivers replacement door in my little shop.

post-3852-0-49492600-1421806133_thumb.jp

post-3852-0-11471500-1421806152_thumb.jp

post-3852-0-25463600-1421806183_thumb.jp

post-3852-0-57383900-1421806199_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I'm following your project, bud. It's neat that we both have pretty much the same truck.

One thing my uncle (who does projects like this all the time) told me: "Don't take parts off the truck that don't need to. If you can refurbish it in place, leave it on. You'll spend an awful lot of time doing unnecessary work when you could be gaining ground instead."

why doe the timing cover have to come off? did I miss something?

No, you didn't miss anything. I pulled the compressor, thinking that was where the noise was coming from. The noise was nonexistent until it built around 80psi then as it built more it would get louder. After I pulled the compressor, I found that the auxiliary shaft has a fair amount of slop in it. That is the reason for the timing cover coming off.

This is the loose shaft.

post-3852-0-32322300-1422229796_thumb.jp

No, you didn't miss anything. I pulled the compressor, thinking that was where the noise was coming from. The noise was nonexistent until it built around 80psi then as it built more it would get louder. After I pulled the compressor, I found that the auxiliary shaft has a fair amount of slop in it. That is the reason for the timing cover coming off.

This is the loose shaft.

I think the end play is set by a button with a lock nut on the cover on the shaft end, with the compressor in place. Loosen locknut snug botton down and back off about a half turn or so and tighen locknut.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know it's been a while since I've made any updates. Between work and the ignorant cold weather, I haven't been able to get a whole lot done on the B. I did however fix the auxiliary shaft problem. The picture shows the problem bushing. It was the bushing toward the compressor end of the shaft. You can clearly see the wear in it. At some point in time, whoever rebuilt it, had less than half of the oil hole in the bushing lined up with the port in the block. After replacing both bushings and the shaft, everything is good to go. I have also decided to put rod and main bearings in it too. A buddy of mine has all the bearings for me. I consider it to be cheap insurance for the 40 year old crank.

post-3852-0-20900900-1424658570_thumb.jp

post-3852-0-11009700-1424658621_thumb.jp