Mack 237 Color

Mike

Guys, I have been looking at different B61's and all so far have many different looks about them. I have seen mostly oily black ones, green ones, red ones, and one that was white. Men,....... I really am confused! Can someone clear this one up for me? I would like to see what was original from the factory and know what the paint code might be. I enjoy seeing people that have restored these trucks back to mostly original condition.

Thanks

Mike

it depends on the year. Im not shure what years had what color but the 4 I have always seen were Light green/blue, Red, Gold and but most were oily black LOL

I know the gold ended with the epa getting involved but I dont recall the year. Someone else here will chime in.

Trent

Trent,

Thanks for your reply, I kind of knew I was right, because if I paint the one i'm getting ready, and paint it black, then I can't go wrong. I think this gentleman won't mind. I guess he did not know either. Maybe politics won't be too hard on him when he starts taking the truck to shows.

Mike

Original color for Mack diesel engines in B models was a bluish green color, similar to the Detroit Diesel color of that era, but with a bit more bluish tint to it.

Like the color of this sentence.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Strange.....now that you mention it I have seen ALOT of variations of motor colors and realize I dont know what it is suppose to be. Mine is GOLD? Not sure of the real vintage of motor(chassis is about a '62), it's stamped 673P up front.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Strange.....now that you mention it I have seen ALOT of variations of motor colors and realize I dont know what it is suppose to be. Mine is GOLD? Not sure of the real vintage of motor(chassis is about a '62), it's stamped 673P up front.

Should originally have been that blue color I mentioned.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Well, it was a pieces/parts truck and PO doesnt recall all that has happened to it. I have alot of shop records of maintenance that was done in the 80's but no records of the original build up. The records are funny to read as the prices were dirt cheap for all the chrome parts, bits/pieces that they put on the truck over the years.

When/what motors were gold?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Trent i seen it posted in another topic here on the BMT fourm that the EPA Got invoved on the Gold paint in 79'

I have seen 237'S Painted Gold, & the blue color that Herb mentioned also btw the color of Detroit was Alpine Green (asked a buddy of my dad's who is Detroit mechanic in Memphis ;))

have a safeone hand

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: