Two Questions

Hi Guys.

Two questions;

1) I've been told my rears are 44,000lbs. What does this actually mean to me as a driver? Does it mean that the actual trailer maximum weight is 44,000lbs ie approx 20 tons?

2) I've noted that the turntable (fifth wheel) on some prime movers is positioned differently. ie mine is very close to the centre of the two bogie axles. Others I've seen are positioned more forward (almost over the front bogie axle). Then there are the ones that slide forward or aft. What are the reasons/advantages?

Thanks. Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Hi Guys.

Two questions;

1) I've been told my rears are 44,000lbs. What does this actually mean to me as a driver? Does it mean that the actual trailer maximum weight is 44,000lbs ie approx 20 tons?

2) I've noted that the turntable (fifth wheel) on some prime movers is positioned differently. ie mine is very close to the centre of the two bogie axles. Others I've seen are positioned more forward (almost over the front bogie axle). Then there are the ones that slide forward or aft. What are the reasons/advantages?

Thanks. Rod.

Hi Rod, theoretically a 44,000# rated rear suspension will effectively carry it's rated load when centered directly perpendicular to the centerline of the trunion that supports the suspension.

The fifth wheel placement has to do with steer axle loading and how much of the load one wants onto the truck suspension, and on the trailer suspension. A slider fifth wheel tries to balance this for best comfort, driving ease, and legality, (sometimes).

Real truck drivers, (I am not) will give you much more clarification but this is my understanding.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.