Progress on 54 Freightliner

maint1

Going to get trailer in the shop soon to get it sharpened up a bit. Would like to get it to some shows this spring to share with you guys. Just worried about getting in somewhere and having to do some backing. I've been driving truck since 1969, I can back a tractor and trailer on the back of a wrecker, but I'll be damned if I can back that thing more than 10 feet without it starting to jack. My hats off to the old timers. Wish I had a video of Dr. Bill backing it down the road. Lol Dave

west coasters used to put a pintle hitch on the right side front bumper just over the frame rail then hook a pup to the front and push em around that worked better than any thing else i`ve seen

• Like 1

Guess I better join up too! never pulled or moved a pup,but several 20' containers back in my moving van days and came to the conclusion I could not back one up to save my ass!.....................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

The construction outfit I worked for just out of high school,bought a set of Mich. train fuel tankers(before they were outlawed in Mich) for asphalt plant fuel. They had a lockable turntable on the pups dolly,to help with the backing up of the pup. The little '41 Fruehauf I pull with BCR,was built as a pull trailer for the Army Corps of Engineers. It had a king pin in place of the dolly so backing up that thing (with the kingpin BEHIND the center of the axle) can really be fun at times also! Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Gear head, I've never drove a combo like yours but I've heard they are hard. Especially with such a long truck and short draw bar.

In Australia when ever we back a road train it's normally a two trailers backing to hook on to a third. The more you do it the easier it get. I don't do it often enough to be good at it. But when ever you have 3 trailers or more then you don't worry about backing.

• Like 2

I was told by Glen who I bought the Aussie Valueliner from that the reason they prefer the turntable fifth wheel is it is easier to back up multiple trailers. Also in Australia they use a different style of pintle hitch which he also said aids in backing easier.

There was a video on YouTube a few years back of an Australian driver doing a 90 degree back with a set of doubles. I believe it was a B-train, but that's still a challenge.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

There was a video on YouTube a few years back of an Australian driver doing a 90 degree back with a set of doubles. I believe it was a B-train, but that's still a challenge.

I find the B doubles a lot easier to back than a dog trailer or a road train and much easier to back around a bend then in a straight line but Im no expert

Paul

• 2 months later...

Finally got the trailer in the shop and buffed out, should have arms like Popeyes by now, but I don't, just a sore back.

that is one super looking rig i`m only a 120 miles away and still have`nt gotten over there to check it out up close :twothumbsup:

that is one super looking rig i`m only a 120 miles away and still have`nt gotten over there to check it out up close :twothumbsup:

This morning I put this trailer in the parking lot facing I95 so that you don't miss it. Dave

post-16952-0-08448600-1431212873_thumb.j

• Like 2