Superliner Questions

16 minutes ago, sodly said:

Another question.....

Were there standard paint colors for Macks (and Superliners in particular)?  Or could they be any color you wanted from the factory?  Surely there must've been a standard catalog of colors, right?  I presume any colors outside of that list were extra..... as were custom paint schemes.  Is this correct?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yeah, I know they had standard stripe patterns but what about other patterns?  I know we had a Superliner I back in the late 70s with a different pattern than those.  

And were there standard colors?

On 6/6/2008 at 8:26 AM, cable cat said:

For some reason I am thinking that 9 inches is the magic number for RW7 frames, but could be I am all confuzzled.

Not sure what depth the RW6 had.

FYI

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/42134-mack-frames-1978/

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/42109-mack-frames-1989/

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/42121-mack-frames-1997/

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, here's another topic I've often wondered about regarding Superliners.  Why do some have a grab handle on the cowl(s) just ahead of the door(s) and some don't?  And if you have them, are they automatically on both sides of the cab?  Anyone know?  Sometimes I'll see a radio antenna there instead.  Just curious.  

40 minutes ago, sodly said:

Ok, here's another topic I've often wondered about regarding Superliners.  Why do some have a grab handle on the cowl(s) just ahead of the door(s) and some don't?  And if you have them, are they automatically on both sides of the cab?  Anyone know?  Sometimes I'll see a radio antenna there instead.  Just curious.  

The handles are there to hold on too... When you are cleaning the windshield about the only thing to grab if you loose your balance is the windshield wiper, the handles are sure handy. :thumb:

I got duel air cleaners on mine and have to grab the top of them when standing on the battery covers and cleaning the windows. Don't thing they are automatic but are on a lot of Superliners.  Radio antennas are on my mirror brackets. AM/FM is out the roof.

Does anyone have general dimensions of a Superliner?  Trying to ascertain basic height and width for storage purposes.  I realize some of these dimensions will vary slightly by model.  I used to get a blueprint-like image every year in new truck edition of Fleet Owner magazine back in the day.  I was able to find a scan of the RW blueprint but from Fleet Owner but, unfortunately, I can't make out any of the numbers.  Does anyone have a better image?  Or does anyone know the dimensions?  

RW Superliner cropped.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another Superliner question.  There were different (aluminum) fuel tank options, correct?  I know there were different lengths but what about bore?  It seems that most Superliners had large-bore fuel tanks for higher capacity but some (perhaps off-road oriented ones) had a smaller bore, I assume for ground clearance.  I've also noticed different foot step brackets.  Some have two vertical braces between the tank and the step, some have only one.  Can anyone explain this?

How about fender-mounted turn signals?  Superliners always had distinctive turn signals to me with their round shape with one flat side, facing out.  Was this same turn signal unit used all through production?  Occasionally I'll see a later trucks with plain, square turn signals on the fenders but I presume these must be replacements.  Anyone know for sure?  Are the originals still available today?  

Wow!  Crickets on those last two questions!  How about this one?

Can anyone explain to me the difference between a regular and a hard-nose (extended) front bumpers on a Superliner II?  Is that considered a "hard-nose"?  I guess what I'm asking is, are they interchangeable?  What's required to change one style to the other style?  Or can you?  Pictures would be great, of course.      

Edited by sodly

I'm not sure about if you can still get the original style turn signals or not, I would ask your mack dealer. but I can answer your bumper question . On a 600 they came with a a normal straight under the hood bumper and one on some heavier models where set out about 4 inches, but used the same bumper. But the big deep taper bumper with center tow pin that could be ordered on a 700(and later came in a angled back style on the CL series ) Had a longer frame out the front. So the center tow pin was mounted in a heavy crossmember between. Also something else with the model #s on superliner IIs ,the middle number identified its engine make. Same for 600 and 700 series. A 713 had a mack , a 733 had a cummins , a 753 had a cat. Hope this helps.  

Thanks, guys.  So the heavy-duty extended bumper was RW 700 only?  Can anyone confirm?  Is this something that can be added or are the actual frame rails different at the front?  It looks (from what I can see in photos) that there are extensions bolted to the front end of the frame rails.  Can anyone with a heavy-duty bumper confirm/deny?

• 1 month later...

Ok, here's a question regarding wheelbase options on Superliners.  I guess Mack would build a truck about any which way you wanted it back in the 80s and 90s but surely there were "standard" wheelbase lengths.  Does anyone know what some of the common or standard wheelbase lengths were for Superliners?  I know 240" was popular for dump trucks with a pusher axle.  But how about tractors?  I presume there had to be a handful of common or popular wheelbase lengths, no?  

But, by the same token, could you literally specify any wheelbase you wanted to the inch?  I'm guessing not.  Can anyone clarify the situation? 

ok my rw 713 has the extended front bumper and center pull pin and these are accessory bolt on items, I have never seen a 600 series with this option. however I have seen r series  valueliners with the extended front bumpers with center pull pin, the rd688s models we had had adaptor blocks to space the bumpers ahead but had pull pins within the adaptor blocks.

as for the fuel tank diameter I have only come across one superliner I that had either 22 or 23 in. tanks (it was a log truck)   wish mine had the smaller tanks.  

as of two years ago the D shaped turn signal lights were still available but only in gray plastic not chrome plated. and not with the molded plug.   

Edited by gearhead204

At the former Mack Trucks, we produced "custom-built" trucks. We never built "standard" trucks.

The "standard" wheelbase in the order book, for example, of a RW603 and RW703 was 163 inches. But 99.9% of the dealers/customers ordered longer.r

The RW603 was available in wheelbases up to 240 inches, and the RW703 up to 299 inches.

Page0001.jpg

Page0002.jpg

Page0003.jpg

Thanks, kscarbel2!  Really interesting stuff.  Can someone remind me what some of those abbreviations are?  WB is obviously wheelbase.  I assume one of those other abbreviations represent placement of the rear axle and overhang of the frame past the axle(s) (AF = after frame?).  So looks like you couldn't quite specify right down to the inch but pretty close.  Looks like about 22 different wheelbases on the RW600.

Wow... can't hardly imagine a 299" Superliner.  Has anyone seen one that long (from the factory)?  Wonder what the application would've been for something like that.  Tractor or straight truck?  I'm guessing straight.  I wonder what the longest single axle configuration was?  You don't see to many single axle RWs... especially long ones.  At least I haven't.  I know Moxleys have one that's a flatbed.