Finally did it. I now own a Mack.

Today's progress:

I spent the afternoon finishing up the stripping of the cab. There are a bunch of nooks and crannies that needed additional attention, so now the cab is 100% stripped and ready for brazing and patching.

I'm hoping to have one windshield and two door windows made tomorrow.

Still no word on the new glass for the windshield and doors. I also ordered five new cab lights, but they haven't arrived yet, either.

We are planning on having the doors 100% complete and primed by the end of the week. We also are shooting for the windshield to be installed by then, too, but obviously we need that glass. Perhaps the cab will be primed by week's end as well.

One thing I do every day (sometimes a couple times per day) is shop-vac the truck and garage. All this prep work is messy and dusty and it's nice not looking at all the mess while working.

Hopefully I'll have some decent pics this week.

• Like 1

Keep it up. One question: you had said previously that you were waiting on the glass to paint the cab. Wouldn't it be better to paint the cab before you put the glass in? Then you wouldn't have to be as careful about masking. I wouldn't tackle a job like this so whatever you do is way better than me. Thanks for the pictures. Mike

• Like 2

The issue with the snow over here is the driveway to our garage is about 1,500' long. When you get four or five feet of snow in a few week's time, it makes it difficult to remove it all. Now add in record cold temps on a daily basis as low as -20 degrees, and it makes it even more challenging. Heck, here we are just one day from March and it's -5 as I'm typing this.

:)

As far as painting the cab before putting the windshield in, I'll have to talk to my uncle about it. He suggested fixing any rot on the metal where the windshield rubber fits on, then hand painting the metal and then installing the glass and rubber before spraying the cab. I actually like the idea of painting the cab without the (expensive) new glass in.

If it was me I would paint the sheet metal and then install the glass and seals. As was mentioned, that is how it is done at the factory. I hate to see "poorly" masked rubber with overspray. If you are going to take the time to do it, do it right. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Clean up all the rust in the windshield mounting area, hand prime it (with self etch primer-?) than put a piece of paper/masking folie into the opening, fix with adhesive band and spray the cab over. If you have any old unnecessery windshields you may put them in for masking. It shure much better to paint with no windshield rubber. Especially in the future when that rubber might be shortened up due to its drying or just getting its place.

Not more than my pair of cents, your project is your headache :)

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Today's progress:

1. Picked up both the exterior and interior green at NAPA. Exterior green is now slightly too dark, while the interior metallic green they mixed up in a spray can is dead nuts perfect. It's literally a perfect match, and in a rattle can to boot!

2. Lightly sanded the door/window rings and painted them with the rattle can interior paint. To say I'm happy with it is an understatement. It's so good, I'll be sanding/stripping down the rest of the door interiors and spraying them, too.

3. I also took pics of the side mirror mounting hardware/flat stock I made for inside the door. You can see the welded nuts that the stainless steel bolts will screw into, fastening the mirror brackets to the doors.

Looking ahead, now that I have the interior green that matches the original, I'll be doing the rest of the door interiors this week. We'll also be starting on prepping the cab for paint, too.

post-18831-0-93825100-1425166957_thumb.j

post-18831-0-29403100-1425167038_thumb.j

post-18831-0-88973300-1425167142_thumb.j

post-18831-0-67351800-1425167231_thumb.j

• Like 2

Today's progress:

1. Pulled out driver's door rubber seal and fixed a few issues underneath. Will paint the steel and put new rubber in.

2. Stripped, primed, and painted the interior of the passenger door. Put the VIN plate on.

3. Fixed a few dents in the door jambs of both sides.

4. Used a little body filler on two spots of the cab that needed it. We have to braze a couple spots around the windshield opening and then...paint.

post-18831-0-98580400-1425427078_thumb.j

The interior green looks beautiful!

The door inside reinforsment plates are the way to go.

Recently I found out and too surprized that stainless steel and common steel combo is a rust accelerating pair.

So pay some attention to your SS mounting bolts when turn them into the nuts.

I mean just put a bit of grease onto.

• Like 2

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Coffee filters? You might be looking at my hand-held grinder that's resting with the woven wire attachment facing upward.

Also, what did you mean by "ant problems" and the sheet metal getting warped?

I will admit that yesterday I did quite a bit. My work isn't perfect, but it's decent (my interior paint job probably grades out at a B-), and in the end, it's pretty cool that I can say I did it myself (the paint). This is the very first time I've ever attempted such a project, so I'm learning as I'm going.

Part of me doesn't want this to end when my truck is done because I'm enjoying it so much.

• Like 1