Finally did it. I now own a Mack.

Still having an issue with air in the fuel lines. Not sure if the primary fuel filter (seal) is allowing air to be sucked in or it's just a matter of air still needing to get worked out. If it's the former, we'll have to bypass the primary, if it's the latter, it'll just take time. We've done so much on this truck thus far (in terms of servicing it), I'd like to have it running so we can enjoy driving it in the yard.

One thing did stand out to me today after we got it running again for 15 minutes or so: the throttle is more responsive than before. Given the sheer amount of sludge and muck in both the filters, it's not surprising that it snorts better now. The big surprise is that it even ran at all before.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to post a video, or even a link to a youtube video.

I posted a short vid of 'Mater taking off after the full service: "1964 Mack B-61SX Quadbox"

i send everything to photo gallery,,then post from there..click on more reply options,,then go to your photo,s.good luck,,also looks like you got a full set of good tires hardly anyone winds up with that,,,ive had my DM 20 years still waiting on a bargain all ten are shot...bob

After work I was going to bypass the primary fuel filter to see if the truck ran any better, but it ran perfectly fine so now I'm a happy camper!

I used my time on the truck today to clean the interior of the cab some more. Here are a few pics. I'm in the process of uploading a few more videos of the truck to youtube, so those will be forthcoming shortly.

post-18831-0-59571900-1417812964_thumb.j

post-18831-0-15969300-1417813078_thumb.j

• Like 2

Yes, when I saw how much crap was in both filters, I ordered a second new filter and intend on swapping it out after a tank or two of fuel. Hopefully by then the fuel system will be clear. It's already a HUGE improvement over what it was before. At least now the two filters can do their job again.

You're doing a great job,keep it up.Doing all the mechanics first is the only way to go.That the first thing i do when i start a rest job on a old caterpillar tractor.Once you get it running just the way you want you can take your time on the cosmo of the truck.Love seeing your pictures.

• Like 2

Glad to see things are moving along and the care you're putting in to each step of the process. I second what Mike D. said about the mechanics. You're doing the safe, responsible things in the right order. You'll have so much more fun when you get it on the road knowing you're not an accident waiting to happen. Plus, EVERYBODY loves to see an old B61 go by. Start doing your left-thumb exercises now! :)

• Like 1

Today's progress:

1. Used a cut off saw to remove some pieces of unwanted steel from the dump body.

2. Replaced a missing 9/16" bolt that attaches the air manifold to the head/valve cover.

3. Noticed there was a mud wasp nest on the heater fan. Removed the nest, cleaned the dirt, dust, and debris from the heater. Cleaned the removable heater front and attached the connector piece from the air IN hose to the bottom of the heater.

4. Cut and formed my Wal-Mart floor mats to fit the floor better.

5. Sealed the windshield a little better to keep out the elements.

6. Noticed the power steering cylinder is leaking. Will have to address that.

7. Ordered two transmission mounts (the right side is bad).

I'm hoping to have the PTO pump seals replaced this week, along with the transmission mounts, and fix the leak on the power steering cylinder.

I know I've said this before, but I really enjoy working and tinkering on this truck. It will make for a nice winter project.

• Like 2

You're care for your Mack is obvious and, again, you're doing things in a mature and correct order. Think of how proud, and safe, you'll feel come Spring and you get it out on the road! Please keep the pictures coming. You really only get one chance with a camera to document the tremendous amount of work you're doing to your B61. And I know you're fellow BMT members, me included, really enjoy seeing them! :)

• Like 2

Today's progress:

1. Replaced the transmission mounts on both sides of the truck. While we were doing that, we...
2. Pulled up the main floor board piece so we could do the driver's side transmission mount.

3. Saw an air line from the brake valve (under the pedal/floor board) was bad and replaced that.

4. Noticed the "ears" of the brake valve casting (that the brake pedal bolts down into under the floor board) were broken off, so we JB Welded new nuts into it so we can actually attach the valve casting to the bottom of the floor board (and into the brake pedal base).

5. While we had the floor board out, I wire brushed it and painted it black.

6. Started the process of pulling the leaking seals out of the PTO pump. Ordered replacements from NAPA, hopefully they will be the correct ones.

7. Also while the floor board was out, we saw that the top of the transmission was LOADED with gunk, grime, grease, and trash, so I used a screwdriver and broke up as much as I could. Once I removed the bulk of it by hand, I then shop-vacced out the rest. The shafts/pistons that move in and out as you shift were completely encased in greasy gunk, no doubt making it more difficult to shift. That's all gone now.

8. Found an old rubber tube that I will cut up and make a new flat seal (boot) around the base of the shift levers, because the old one was in tatters. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

9. We also disassembled the brake and throttle pedals to free them up more and lube them, so they should operate more freely.

10. We took off the exhaust system in advance of installing a new one. This one is very small diameter, not nearly enough for the truck (2 7/8"). I bought a new muffler and heat shield from Mack, now all I have to do is find some place to bend up 3 1/2" or 4" pipe from the manifold to the muffler.

We got quite a bit done today, virtually all of it mechanical in nature. Having said that, it was all important stuff, and I did get to put paint on something for the first time (floor board). Hopefully I can have some pics tomorrow.

Edited by Wobblin-Goblin
  • Like 1