Jumping Ship *Long Post*

j_martell

• 3 weeks later...

So, Friday (dec 05) was my last day.....kinda sad to have to clean out my truck after all this time.....Had a chat with the bossman when I handed in my phone etc.....said he knew why I was quitting, and wished me luck......told me I was a pleasure to work with and should **** hit the fan, "call me, I've got a spot for you here"......always nice to have a backup plan....

My buddy Nick is ******....lol.....now he's all by himself doing everything me and him used to split.....he bought a jetta so I was over there tonight checking it out.....next week hasn't even started and he's already behind....

Training starts Monday @ 0800....here we go

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Today was less frustrating....did most of the driving (nearly the only thing I knew coming in) and loading unloading (getting easier with a few loads and a bit of a rhythm).....Vaughan was just riding along, and helping with the paper work and continuously answering questions.....plans changed, my *shudder* Volvo is still in the shop, and Vaughan is off tomorrow (his ws needs a new compressor) so ill be riding with "Jim".....similar box/blower truck, but slightly different setup....we'll see how that goes. And tomorrow I don't have to be there till 0630....smile.png

BAD DOG: How's your new gig?!

good luck at the new job.

I left a extremely good company driver job before i became a o/o. when i left they told me if things don't work out to give them a call and they would give me my old job back. It defiantly eased the mind a bit knowing that you are leaving on good terms and the worst you can do is end up back where you started. glad your previous employer is understanding and that your leaving on good terms.

on a side not sorry to hear about the volvo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

so, should update....

started on my own two weeks tomorrow.....was assinged a truck....guess which one ?

as much as i dislike Volvo for what they have done to mack.....its not too bad, mostly due to the d12 and 18 speed.....but i still miss that mutt i cut my chops on.....

so far all is going welll.....long days, but thats what i wanted. got my first pay this week and made about the same as the old gig despite the 10$/hr cut.....

figured the payperwork out and now that i have a routine,, its easy as pie.....taking some getting used to a new area, but slowly picking it up.....still get bored unloading, because all i do is hook up and wait.....but i get time to call the family, do the papeerwork and have a bite to eat, all while getting paid and sitting still :)

heres a pic...set up blowing off hog feed outside of sebringville, ontario......set up the pipe, start the blower and hydraulics, open and start the airlock, then go do something else for 15-60 mins.......

post-14397-0-28487300-1419630624_thumb.j

2002 Volvo VHD D12 465(?) and Eaton-Fuller 18speed, 46,000lbs meritor rears (ratio unknown at the moment), self steering lift axle, Wallinga Classic bulk/bag box with transfer unit......

edit:yes those are hog carcasses next to the fuel tank near the barn.......almost tripped on one when running off the ladder as the bin filled up to "overflow"....not as bad as the pile of chickens i stepped in monday night in the dark

• Like 2

So far-so good.

Room for a camp chair (fold out style)?

see guys with blower trucks carry them. Start process, take chair out

tons of room, but why sit outside, just set up so you can see the pipe in the mirror and sit in the cab....should shit hit the fan and the pipe plug, just hit the clutch and everything stops....the "e-stop" button lol

when its not so miserable out ill stand out and whatch, just out of curiosity sake.....

yep.....nice to be able to drop it and leave it.....but, placement as close to the drives as it is, heavy on steers and light on drives with it down leads to burning inside drive tires around corners.....need to load partials on the lift and drives, vs my force of habit load nose heavy.....

most (from what i've seen anyway) up here are 385 singles.....placement is usually the same, on dump etc, just behind the back of the cab, but im noticing feed and fuel trucks now with the lift a few feet behind the front of the body.....works fine when im loaded full....just a pain to adapt to half box load in the center of the box for the lift to be useful......

just glad i still control the damn thing, and not some computer on the friggin frame rail....

SPIF can f*** its hat......guys who have never driven souldn't be allowed to call the shots

• 3 weeks later...

I think green dash summed it up properly.

Before I plowed snow, I used to drive a furnace oil delivery truck. I remember well what its like getting into residential and farm driveways in the winter. Some of them were very tough. I always had a shovel and a 2 pails of sand on my truck.

You got out without wrecking anything . Good job, in my book!!!

Keith

• Like 2

Keith 

when i called dispatch to inform him I was stuck, he said, thats ok, your #3 today....the tow truck will be there in about an hour, hes nearby pulling one of listowels trucks out too.....i chuckled and sent him the pics...replied thats not that bad, the other guy tried to use a "no winter maintenance road".....aka snowmobile trail