T-2060a Is This A Good Tranny For Heavy Hard Loads

I am shopping for a mack with heavy specs, is this a transmission model that fits that description? I need a low low in forward and reverse for loading and unloading with a live-bottom bed in offroad applications if this one isn't does someone have a list of trans. that would fit this description. I am looking for trucks from late 80's to late 90's to meet my needs, however, I would like to learn about all heavy specs not just the late 80's to 90's. thanks

I am shopping for a mack with heavy specs, is this a transmission model that fits that description? I need a low low in forward and reverse for loading and unloading with a live-bottom bed in offroad applications if this one isn't does someone have a list of trans. that would fit this description. I am looking for trucks from late 80's to late 90's to meet my needs, however, I would like to learn about all heavy specs not just the late 80's to 90's. thanks

The T2060 doesn't really have a deep enough reduction in lo range to make it suitable for heavy hauling IMO.

With a T2060,in order to have enough overall reduction for good startability off road or with a heavy load you would have to use a lower rear axle ratio, and if you do that, your maximum road speed in hi gear will be reduced

If you want to stay with a T200 series transmission, the T2070 or T2080 would be much better.

The T2060, 2070, and 2080 are used with Maxidyne engines.

Another option yo may want to consider is the TRTXL1070B 12 speed, this is a TR107 series transmission which has an off road Lo Lo, and an overdrive in hi gear to give you the best of both worlds.

All the transmissions mentioned are the triple countershaft design and are virtually indestructible.

A non Mack option for your application would be the Eaton Fuller 18 speed, or 8LL.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

thank you for your advice, my knowledge is limited, would you know about how much it would cost me to buy a T2070, T2080 Eaton Fuller 18 or 8LL to put in a truck if I bought the truck that aready had the T2060. I am having a very hard time finding truck with heavy specs. and a long frame and enough Hp and trany torque.

:mack1: The one thing you have to remember is the 2060,2070, and 2080 trans take a different rear ratio than a fuller or a mack 6 or 12 spd. tranny. Terry

Thank you for your knowledge, I'm not sure I fully understand, are you saying that the rearend gear ratio is too high or did I miss understand? Please explain your above statement a little more.

Do you need the ability to "creep" along, like under a combine chute, etc. while loading? If so the 6 speed might not go slow enough for you. The 7 and 8 speeds were designed for applications like curb pouring and such and are as slow as they come.
I am looking for a truck that I can make a cotton module hauling truck out of the bed I have has hydrolic tracks on it that pull the live bottom bed under the cotton module. When the fields are muddy you assist the bed with your axles but it must be slow enough to mach the tracks. Also, these mudules can weigh 30,000lb. so you must be able to drive out of the soft field without burning up your clutck, etc. Thank you

The T2060 doesn't really have a deep enough reduction in lo range to make it suitable for heavy hauling IMO.

Can you tell me what the ratio is in the lo forward/reverse so I can compare that to other transmission ratios we know. thank you

:mack1: The 2060,2070,and2080 all take a rear ratio of at least the low or mid 5.00 number, the 6 spd. really should be with a 3.86 to get any good road speed, and a 12 spd. overdrive and fuller work real good with a 4.17 ratio. terry

Can you tell me what the ratio is in the lo forward/reverse so I can compare that to other transmission ratios we know. thank you

T2060 RATIOS

LOW HIGH

1 9.02 5.24

2 5.25 3.05

4 1.72 1.00

5 1.03 .60

R 9.25 5.38

Lowest forward gear is 9.02, lowest reverse is 9.25. With the highest gear being a .60 overdrive, the T2060 gives overall reduction of just over 15 to 1.

I don't have my Mack manuals handy right now as we recently moved and they're still packed away, have to find them soon.

My original reply was based on real world experience.

Also, what I have found over the years is that if you multiply the lowest gear ratio in the transmission by the rear axle ratio, the total must be at least 60:1 in order to have acceptable startability during off road or heavy load conditions.

This formula applies to trucks on 10:00-20 or 11R22.5 rubber, for a truck with larger rubber, the total would need to be greater in order to achieve the same result.

Therefore, using the ratios posted by GHG and David, the T2060 low gear ratio of 9.02 multiplied by the rear axle ratio of 5.73 would give a total reduction of 51.69:1 which is far short of what's needed.

I've also seen some trucks with the T2060 that had 5.55 or 5.05 rears which would result in a total reduction of 50.07:1 and 45.56:1 respectively, even more unacceptable.

Bottom line:

One of the transmissions mentioned in my original reply is the way to go.

trucks with t-2060's that was speced for off road or heavy haul usage usually had 6.34's a few rare ones's had 6.06's (t-2060 with 6.34 had about the same reduction as a t-2070 with 5.73 just not near as fast) 5.55 and t-2060 are a common set up work pretty well on end dump's

trucks with t-2060's that was speced for off road or heavy haul usage usually had 6.34's a few rare ones's had 6.06's (t-2060 with 6.34 had about the same reduction as a t-2070 with 5.73 just not near as fast) 5.55 and t-2060 are a common set up work pretty well on end dump's

A T2060 in lo range 1st gear with 6.34 rears gives an overall reduction of 57.19:1.

A T2060 in lo range 1st gear with 7.00 rears gives an overall reduction of 63.14:1.

Those rear end ratios will get you in the ballpark for decent startability off road.

The problem is that by using those low rear axle ratios, even at 2100 RPM the truck will have a top speed of 60 MPH with the 7.00:1 rears or 66 MPH with the 6.34:1 rears.

Since the T2060 was most often used with the EM7 300L which had a max RPM of 1750, unless you mess with the pump to get the RPM's to 2100, you'd have a top speed of 50 MPH with the 7.00 rears, or 55 MPH with the 6.34 rears @1750 RPM.

The T2060 just does not have enough of a spread between lo range 1st gear and 5th hi range to have enough reduction for off road use while still being capable of an acceptable top road speed, you can achieve one or the other, but not both.

buddy of mine had that problem w/ an R Model it was awsome in the dirt & soft ground but top speed on His R model lowboy tractor was round 60 to 62 mph on the road & it has the T2060

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Since the T2060 was most often used with the EM7 300L which had a max RPM of 1750.

At the risk of annoying my audiance, the truck I was looking at but have now counted out thanks to the knowledge I've learned on this web site, had a EM6 300hp, or at least that is what the sales man told me, what is the difference between EM6 and EM7, can they both be 300hp? Also, the T-2060 I was told is a T-2060A Could you break down all the numbers and the A in this transmission model number, so I can understand what I am reading when I shop for another truck. Thank you.