Bought an old dog today

Re: Company name on the horn center. I know that Mack "CF" fire trucks had "Custom Built For "XYZ" Fire Department" on the horn center. Did Mack do this for commercial trucks if it knew who

buyer would be? I always thought that it was a nice touch.

bulldogboy

yes they did,in later years they went to a dash plauque

Re: Company name on the horn center. I know that Mack "CF" fire trucks had "Custom Built For "XYZ" Fire Department" on the horn center. Did Mack do this for commercial trucks if it knew who

buyer would be? I always thought that it was a nice touch.

bulldogboy

They did indeed do it for commercial trucks which were ordered direct. That's a very nice untouched Hayward, and I see from earlier posts that our BMT folks pretty much nailed its worth. I am very pleased that you saved it from the dark side. I would raise a question asked earlier, though--how did a 237 end up in a long hood?

Early in my career I drove an R without power steering. I put a steel suicide knob on it even though I was warned that I could get hurt, which I took as nonsense. Sure enough, one day I was on a jobsite and the left front dropped down into a big pothole and the wheel spun. Suicide knob almost broke my wrist.

I usually don't condone unmuffled trucks, but I'd lose that muffler in a hearbeat. I think there's nothing that sounds any nicer than a straight pipe Maxidyne, and as there's no engine brake you won't upset anyone.

Again, great score!

I have a couple things Im going to change on it it will get a set of dual chrome exhaust stacks I have a trade deal in the works with our head mechanic at work for the set on his personal mack for the muffler set up on mine. Im also going with a set of polished aluminum budd wheels on the front I will be saving everything I take off so if I decide to sell the truck down the road sometime it can be put back to original. This is only going to be a parade truck we do lots of them every year so some bling is required I see the frame was originally black where it didn't get painted under the cab I may just paint it red as it is or return it to factory black all things I will decide to do over the winter. Today after it gets to my place a complete cleaning of the interior is in the works as well as figuring out how to tackle the few rust spots that need attention I just wish I could have gotten it during the summer so I could work on it more. I may have to rent space in a heated shop this winter to do the paint and body work the hood and doors will be taken off so a proper paint job can be done to it the doors need to be realigned anyways they close tight but the door handle side just touches the gasket. As for the 237 in a long hood truck that old 71 RS700L I drove years ago was set up the same as this manual steering and a 237 hooked to a straight 5 speed pretty much an identical truck and superdog is correct now that I think about it most of Harry Kuhns R models had a plate on the glove box stating it was built for him

Edited by ranchhopper
  • Like 1

They did indeed do it for commercial trucks which were ordered direct. That's a very nice untouched Hayward, and I see from earlier posts that our BMT folks pretty much nailed its worth. I am very pleased that you saved it from the dark side. I would raise a question asked earlier, though--how did a 237 end up in a long hood?

Early in my career I drove an R without power steering. I put a steel suicide knob on it even though I was warned that I could get hurt, which I took as nonsense. Sure enough, one day I was on a jobsite and the left front dropped down into a big pothole and the wheel spun. Suicide knob almost broke my wrist.

I usually don't condone unmuffled trucks, but I'd lose that muffler in a hearbeat. I think there's nothing that sounds any nicer than a straight pipe Maxidyne, and as there's no engine brake you won't upset anyone.

Again, great score!

I've seen several Western 700's with 237's,I have a '69 RL785 myself but the engine was robbed out of it years ago. One thing you don't see any of is a regular R785,they only made 44 of those.

• Like 1

Im going to shop around for the parts I need the truck will for sure be repainted this coming spring having trouble getting the passenger door to latch tight had to drill and tap the handle lots of corrosion on the smaller side of the handle people looking it over at the auction had it pulled partially out of the door shell.

I like the long hood but after 30 years I had forgotten how many turns of the wheel it takes to round a corner with out power steering.

Oh cry me a river......Try the FWD with the 7-mile long hood, no power steering and a powered steer axle........I keep a tube of Ben-Gay in the glove box for my arms......LOL

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS