1948 ford f1

gicknordon

3 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

The Ford 302/5 Liter is a more compact and lighter engine than the small block Chevy and can put out just as much power. Friend of mine had a '48 Ford pickup with a 302 and Cruisomatic, plant of power and got 20 MPG highway.

agreed. my 65 289 with an edelbrock performer intake and carb and pertronix ignition, C4 trans, and 3.20 gears in the rear diff will get 25 mpg if i keep my foot off the gas. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

10 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

agreed. my 65 289 with an edelbrock performer intake and carb and pertronix ignition, C4 trans, and 3.20 gears in the rear diff will get 25 mpg if i keep my foot off the gas. 

I will be extremely pleased if I can even get into the double digits on mileage with this setup.

3 hours ago, gicknordon said:

I will be extremely pleased if I can even get into the double digits on mileage with this setup.

Never built any hot rod or bike for mileage. My 55 Chevy gets  65 miles to the tank or about 6 -6 1/2 per mile,on a good day, my Valkyrie gets 12 on the highway and 9 around town. Of course my rides are mostly track/ barely street able. You need to worry about mpg buy a smartcar.  :)

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Was my friends daily driver back in the 70s, engine and transmission came from a low mileage wreck and was installed by a bored mechanic at the Mercury dealer I worked at. He was always building something then got bored and sold them cheap to his friends, he sold me a '66 Cortinna GT he'd rebuilt from a wreck for $250!

11 hours ago, gicknordon said:

i hear that!!! my 66 7 litre 4 speed will not got over 8 mpg no matter how easy i am with it. usual is closer to 6 mpg. but that 428 is one thirsty bugger with the 850 holley style carb sitting on top of it

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

On 12/22/2016 at 6:24 AM, tjc transport said:

i hear that!!! my 66 7 litre 4 speed will not got over 8 mpg no matter how easy i am with it. usual is closer to 6 mpg. but that 428 is one thirsty bugger with the 850 holley style carb sitting on top of it

TJ-I guess I was lucky I had a new 68 Torino (square back-rare!), 428 CJ,  C-6       4.30 gears.  think if I got 12 mpg I was doing good.  Finally took the 4.30's out and put 3.25's in.  Well we had a wreck out on the NYS thruway near Canajoharie one winter night.  I let this young guy-hah, even younger than me then-take the car for a coffee run and he went up to exit and reversed direction.  I saw him come flying back eastbound.  I later said-"so Jerry-how fast were you going?" He says -"oh like 70".  Needless to say, never changed speedo gear:D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice looking project.  I understand the "keep it all Ford" thing.  But to me, its begging for a Cadillac motor.  Maybe a 472, plentiful, cheap, and 550 lb-ft. in stock form and a little bit less weight than the Ford 460.  "Fordillac" was a popular thing back in the day.  Thanks for posting. 

• 2 weeks later...