1998 E7 wont start

Mild Thunder

Sorry missed your post , very busy building a Mack race truck . If you replace the TEM sensor , side on injection pump put some silione on the threads and run all the way in and tighten jam nut . When the truck has a rough idle does the rpm tach jump , if so the rpm engine sensor under your starter may be out of adjustment or have clutch debris on end clean replace readjust . bottom out and back out 1 turn. If you have high milage excessive crank shaft end play could be a issue also . The econovance could be issue also this moves timing up with RPM so if not moving timing or moving too slow engine runs rough . Check your wiring for it check for bare spots and were it goes in the back of solinoid they get oil damage there. Good luck hope this helps..

Thanks staxx. The tach needle does move around a little like it's shakey. I checked the ohms on the tach sensor and it was about 275 ohms. The tem sensor was about 150 ohms.

It will idle smooth for a minute, then get shakey. When revving it sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's missing/stumbling a bit.

The truck always started with the whole smokey powerful ecovonance mode in the morning. I noticed today when it started it didn't start like that. Kinda cranked a bit then fired but not with its usual "authority "

• 3 weeks later...

Mild thunder--

Did you get truck fixed? If so, what was it?

I've got an E7, 1995 in an RD 688. Seems to be an electronic issue--fuel every where, except coming out of the pump. Noticed at least a dozen or so difficult starts in the previous year where it didn't appear to be getting fuel, but eventually did. Feel certain its a fuel shutoff switch gone from sorta bad to all bad, would be curious to know what you found out.

Could you by any chance post a pic of the problem part?

Thanks,

just realized I hadn't read this thread all the way thru page two.

Can someone help out with the nomenclature--

What does TDC stand for? What does TEM stand for?

I have a wiring diagram for my E7--it shows an Engine Shutdown Relay. Is this the same as what is being called a fuel shutoff solenoid, and does this have anything to do with the problem that mild thunder was having? Think I've got the same problem.

• 9 years later...
On 9/21/2014 at 7:10 AM, raindog said:

just realized I hadn't read this thread all the way thru page two.

Can someone help out with the nomenclature--

What does TDC stand for? What does TEM stand for?

I have a wiring diagram for my E7--it shows an Engine Shutdown Relay. Is this the same as what is being called a fuel shutoff solenoid, and does this have anything to do with the problem that mild thunder was having? Think I've got the same problem.

If you suspect the shut down relay swap it with another relay in the batch there remember the one you use so you can replace it !

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fjh said:

If you suspect the shut down relay swap it with another relay in the batch there remember the one you use so you can replace it !

Someone's being rummaging around in the past.... 🤣