Dana Spicer 5831 Aux Transmission

Don Wilson jr

Needing a Spicer 5831 auxiliary transmission with the .73 Overdrive, to bolt behind my Allison Ht 740 Transmission. This is a 3 speed gear box with a direct, low and overdrive also known as a Brownie box. I know that these are really getting hard to find. This needed for my Mack R model that I am restoring into a giant Pickup truck. Please let me know if you have one or know where I might find one. Contact Don (859)525-6798 or email donwilson5201@gmail.com

How are you planning on mounting it?

The box is almost 2 feet long then you add the length of the drive shaft and work to get it mounted and the shifter working it becomes a project.

I was going to do the same thing but decided to convert my MT643 to a MT653, this added an additional granny gear, and change the rear axle gear ratio to effectively give me a .80 overdrive.

Actually the new gears came with a rear frame clip I bought for the air ride suspension.

I have considered the length of the gear box and the drive line modifications. This is pretty standard stuff for me. I am the Plant Supervisor for a Fire Truck manufacture, and Dirive line modifications are performed daily in our shop. Of coarse this project is me at home but can fabricate anything that I need at work. My biggest problem at this point is locating a Gear box. No having much luck at this point!. Any help locating one would be great.

Thanks Don

I think the Plant Supervisor should talk to the Purchasing Manager and go to work with a really big lunchbox one day.....

How about a couple pics of your R project?

I read what I wrote in my post. It sounds a little arrogant. I really did not mean it to come out that way. I think one thing and write another. I am definitely not that way. In the future I will proof read a little closer!. About your question about pictures, I do have pictures showing what I started with, and where I am now. I have not figured out yet how to post them! As soon as I get it worked out, I will post some of them.

Thanks Don

I read what I wrote in my post. It sounds a little arrogant. I really did not mean it to come out that way. I think one thing and write another. I am definitely not that way. In the future I will proof read a little closer!. About your question about pictures, I do have pictures showing what I started with, and where I am now. I have not figured out yet how to post them! As soon as I get it worked out, I will post some of them.

Thanks Don

No worries. I was thinking of the old Johnny Cash "One Piece at a Time" tune where he built a Cadillac by taking parts home.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.