MACK NO Brush Buster

41chevy

Picture taken in Plymouth Ma in the 60's.Notice the number 1-5 that confirms its identity as "Smokey". It was obtained via surplus from the Hingham MA Ammunition Depot. After serving as a "brushbreaker" for several years, it was purchased by a landfill operator in Halifax MA. Following service in a landfill in Bridgewater. I am not sure,but it may have ended up at Andersons Auto Salvage on Route 106 in Kingston, Ma. If anyone has any further info as to where the photos were taken or where it is today, it would be greatly appreciated by Plymouth County Firefighters. It was and still is a legend to many of us.attachicon.gifphoto-6.JPGattachicon.gifphoto-6.JPG

The unit is now in Iowa and when the paper work is finalized will be on L.I. I did trace it to an antique boat power racers shop in Fall River near Battleship Cove, Ma in the late 80's early 90's. Fire-Matic is going to replace the tank and rebuild the pumps. Drive train will be gone over. The Lanova is long gone, the Cumins the replaced it is a stripped carcass. I will probably fit the spare Therodyne I got with my B mixer into it. It will eventually serve duty on our 300 acres in Virginia. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The photos were taken in Iowa at the junk yard.

I send you photos when it is in my possession. You can expect questions on lettering and other items pertinent to is service in Plymouth. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1955Maxim:

Thanks for the info on the "NO" brush breaker. I didn't know that there was an ammunitions depot in Hingham (now Bare Cove Park). Bethlehem Steel had a shipyard in Hingham where it built Navy ships

during World War II. In 1942, Mack delivered two LS-80 coupe cab pumpers to the shipyard. After the war, one LS-80 was given to the Boston Fire Dep't where it served as Engine 54 at the Long Island

Hospital Fire Brigade. The second LS-80 was given to the Paxton, MA Fire Department where it served as Engine 3. The Paxton engine is now owned and being restored by the Rhode Island Antique

Fire Apparatus Society. Who knew that quaint, little Hingham was such a hubbub of activity during WW II.

41chevy:

Good luck with restoring the "NO", nice save of a rare and historic truck.

bulldogboy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 8/24/2014 at 10:06 PM, bulldogboy said:

1955Maxim:

Thanks for the info on the "NO" brush breaker. I didn't know that there was an ammunitions depot in Hingham (now Bare Cove Park). Bethlehem Steel had a shipyard in Hingham where it built Navy ships

during World War II. In 1942, Mack delivered two LS-80 coupe cab pumpers to the shipyard. After the war, one LS-80 was given to the Boston Fire Dep't where it served as Engine 54 at the Long Island

Hospital Fire Brigade. The second LS-80 was given to the Paxton, MA Fire Department where it served as Engine 3. The Paxton engine is now owned and being restored by the Rhode Island Antique

Fire Apparatus Society. Who knew that quaint, little Hingham was such a hubbub of activity during WW II.

41chevy:

Good luck with restoring the "NO", nice save of a rare and historic truck.

bulldogboy

The 1942 Mack that went to Boston Fire Dept. was scrapped in 1984. 

I have attached a picture of the truck as Boston Engine 54.

20180414_194320.png

• Like 1