MACK NO Brush Buster

41chevy

Karl, the brush breakers in the Pine Barrens of NJ weren't quite as "radical" as the ones on Cape Cod. There were a few deuce and a halfs (which came from Ft Dix excess property most of the time) and they were beefed up a bit but never as heavy duty as the cape units.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Hopefully it will soon be in my property in Virginia. I made an offer and now it's his turn. Paul

That would be a good rig to get some saw logs out.

A NO skidder would be sweet! And who needs a chainsaw, just push 'em down.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Thanks guys for posting all of these great trucks. Also thanks Vlad for posting, I especially like the original military look. I must be getting older cause I now like mostly original trucks. Would especially like to see a Diamond T military trucks. I'll put some photos of my dads WW2 photos together and post. I don't have any Diamond T photos that his outfit used to pull the big guns.

mike

FT.Dodge,no kidding?

Yes. How close is Fort Dodge to you?

Maybe we should start a thread on Military Trucks ? Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Any truck might be military if you paint it correct :)

Mike, there was another, "small" version with a hood shorter and a gasser.

But that's a matter for a new thread indeed.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I was looking at the picture book for the FC/FCSW/NM trucks the other day and note the similarities between these beasts and the NO. Obviously the "N" series trucks are alike and share what I would call the L model nose. The cab appears to be consistent with the exception of the C type cab. I believe the cab is wider than an L cab but shares the architecture of the shape of the doors and such. It is clearly not an A or B cab with the big radii on them. The dash had the L model speedometer and gages at least in the few shown in the book.

Massive frames and what looks like three big steps up into the cab make for an impressive looking truck. The NM is 12' wide and they had six wheel drive with what looks like the Mack front end used in the NO trucks too. Can anyone add to or correct my assumptions here? Wicked Cool trucks...

Greg

There are apparently 3 versions of the NO. A 1940 version a 1942 /43 version and a 1943 to 1945 version, I think since the specs are very close it is just three different contracts-purchase orders.

Power was a military spec EY 707 over head valve gas engine 170 b.h.p. , MACK 5 speed with 5th gear direct, hi and low range transfer case, MACK CR38 and CR39 rear axles with a ratio of 9:02. Front was a FA49 elevated axle ( no ball joints it had a bevel gear drive instead). Borg Warner air brakes, with an electric trailer brake. 160 gallon fuel tank. 2053 built. GVW was a bit over 44,000 lbs. After WWII most if not all in Europe were rebuilt by Corbitt and given to Allies in NATO. According to my info what was in production here when Germany surrendered were finished and put in reserve. Later given to Civil Defense units and a few lucky municipalities. Paul

The MACK FA49 elevated front axle was used in most all military MACK chassis up to the 1960's at least probably to the 80's for military units. The Bevel gear drive is wear resistant and nearly unbreakable for use with limited repair or maintenance facilities

post-3242-0-22423900-1404321486_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-96162100-1404321547_thumb.jp

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The MACK FA49 elevated front axle was used in most all military MACK chassis up to the 1960's at least probably to the 80's for military units. The Bevel gear drive is wear resistant and nearly unbreakable for use with limited repair or maintenance facilities

attachicon.gifFA49 axleA.jpg

attachicon.gifFA49 Frontaxle.jpg

wear resistant and unbreakable,you can bet Volvo shit canned that design.

• Like 2

I'm a mechanical Engineer and that design is absolutely beautiful. I'd like to shake the hand of the guy who's head that came out of. It is inspired, based on simplicity and durability in design. There were no cheap a$$ worries about it costing an extra buck it was made to work and work well for a long time.

It must have been a pleasure to work out and see built.

Mack N series trucks were specially designed army vehicles. There were mostly NR, NM and NO of different versions wich had many basic components of a L-model. Some early versions had L-model cabs. Although there were also different N's such as NJU or NB wich were different.

NR, NM and NO have much of look in common but technically were different also. NR was 6x4 with a frame and chassis components of LF or LJ.

NM had L-model hood and a cowl and cabs on early versions with Mack 707 and Mack 5-speed. But they were equipped with Timken-Detroit axles and a transfer case. A frame had "stepped" design, rails were higher under a hood and a cab than at rear to clear up a front wheel drive. NO was one more different beast. It had heavy rated Mack rears on Camelback with front axle like Paul described. 707 gasser under the hood (the same as in NM) with Mack 5-speed but integrated with a transfer case. The same style tranny was used in some heavy 6x6 B, something like B-813SX if I'm not wrong.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Their 1967 is a nice unit, but I've got my heart set on the MACK. I live near the Fire Matic company and passed up a few trade in units. Thanks for posting it though. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

with no skid plate it must have been a truck killer to have to back up, I can picture in my mind all sorts of bad stuff happening. maybe since you guys have a lot of hard wood its not as bad ? the stuff we have would remove all air lines and cables and probably the fan and rad. core and steering hoses .

with no skid plate it must have been a truck killer to have to back up, I can picture in my mind all sorts of bad stuff happening. maybe since you guys have a lot of hard wood its not as bad ? the stuff we have would remove all air lines and cables and probably the fan and rad. core and steering hoses .

Here is a new 1956 doing what it was made for up Cape Cod way. Like us it is mostly scrub pine

BarnCtyC151959Maximwoods1_zps708e5357.jp

BarnCtyC151959Maximwoods2_zps30ecc9c2.jp

Heres one of ours on L.I.

post-3242-0-81472500-1404577675_thumb.jp

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...